Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly strike  (Read 10880 times)

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Fly strike
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 05:42:06 pm »
Fleecewife can you explain how that works. If the product is only effective for 6 weeks how come it's dangerous for 3 months? I hadn't thought of that so it looks like i will have to throw all my fleece away. Just the 2 sheep mind you as my wilts have no usable fleece.

jack

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 09:51:14 pm »
battles oil is excellent  for strike and not that expensive, wear good gloves and rub it in, but clip affected area away first. dont get it on your skin

Hi where can you get this oil from please.

Jack . . .

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 11:13:26 pm »
Fleecewife can you explain how that works. If the product is only effective for 6 weeks how come it's dangerous for 3 months? I hadn't thought of that so it looks like i will have to throw all my fleece away. Just the 2 sheep mind you as my wilts have no usable fleece.
I expect it's a blanket quote to cover all products including clik, and to make sure that all the stuff has gone from the fleece.  Now you've got me wondering whether if you were to leave the fleece lying out in the rain for 3 months after shearing it would then be ok to use, as opposed to one left rolled in a bag.  I don't know the chemistry of the anti-fly-strike agents or just how they break down - does anyone else have this info?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
I spilt some crovect on my hands the other day and all my fingers went numb!!  No nice.  The product loses its efficacy after 6 -8 weeks, but still is toxic residue.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 09:23:34 pm »
Ah, Crovect is evil stuff.  Having had some splash on my jeans and my legs ached and were red for hours I now wear waterproofs when we're using it - and it rots the flexothane leggings.  After working out what was making me wheezy and my eyes itch, I also now wear latex gloves, a hanky over my mouth and goggles when we're using it and wash my hands very thoroughly when we're done - and try not to rub my eyes for some hours after.

Small price to pay to stop the girls and babies getting strucken, but I do worry about the wider environmental impact.

I do wear protective clothing for Vetrazin too, but I do think it is less noxious to humans.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterhouse

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 10:42:36 pm »
Clik interferes with the reproductive processes of the little blighters but has a 40 day meat withdrawal period and a prohibition on shearing for 3 months because of residues in the fleece.  That's why it's effective for longer.

Novartis has launched Clikzin recently which has a 7 day meat withdraw but I've seen little else about it.

Yer pays yer money...

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2011, 12:25:03 pm »
CLIKZIN is i believe to replace vetrazin, lasts i think 8 wks it is diluted clik designed to allow fattening lambs to be sold after only 7 days

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS