Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vaccination of bantams  (Read 1460 times)

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
Vaccination of bantams
« on: April 20, 2011, 02:24:53 pm »
Hi there,

we have had pet bantams for some time and are happily giving our eggs to friends for a couple of pounds here and there however we have just built a larger chicken shed and are hoping to upscale from our approx 10 - 20 pets to around 49 (to stay under the DEFRA limit for a registered flock - although we are voluntarily registered)

The question is that we would like to increase our opportunity for supplying eggs to local markets (WI etc) as either eggs or cooked products and for this they should really be vaccinated against Salmonella.

Can I (should I) vaccinate my older hens (approx 2-3 years old)?
When should I vaccinate chicks as I tend to hatch off small batches to top up numbers or to sell/give away
Can they be eaten if they are vaccinated? What is the cool off period (e.g. if I want my cockerals for the pot)?
Is there a cool off period for the eggs?
Can I vaccinate them myself - eg get a batch from my vet and administer myself to save on some costs?

Any advice would be welcome

P

Bioman

Re: Vaccination of bantams
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 09:40:35 pm »
I have only a small flock and most of my flock is vaccinated against multiple diseases however some are not vaccinated against any of it. The thing is to have most of your flock vaccinated which provides herd immunity. This provides immunity for the non-vaccinated ones. So all in all vaccinated some of them but you probably dont need all of them as good husbandry should protect the non vaccinated. Cooling off period- less than 40 odd days usually as commercial meat farms vaccinate their chickens against it and they are slaughtered at a similar age. You can vaccinate chickens at any age really. I dont know about the eggs. Hopes this helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS