Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Lincolnshire  (Read 3738 times)

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
Hi from Lincolnshire
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:27:41 pm »
Hi there,

Just found this and thought I would join to pick up some tips and share some of my own. We are rather small smallholders - we have just under an acre of land. We have chickens, 2 pygmy goats, 6 cats (5 of which are feral) and 3 pet rats. We did have some geese and some ducks, but lost these to a fox. I didn't do very well growing fruit and veg last year, but hoping to much more productive this year. Also looking for other ways to be more self-sufficient (open to suggestions here!).

Look forward to chatting with you all.

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
Re: Hi from Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 07:36:55 am »
hi rumpleteazer -ian here in gainsborough - im very new here and about to take the the plunge of leaving the rat race for a new life in self sufficeincy and will need a lot of patience and knowledge so locally im pleased to know you and hope  that you enjoy being on the forum - ive been here just av few days and theres some lovely people here and i intend spendiong much more time here as i persue my wishes for a better quality of life.
Nice to know you-im north lincolnshire - close to you maybe?

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 09:09:09 am »
Hi Ian,

We are just outside Boston, so a bit of a way from you - same county at least! Good luck with the self-sufficiency. We are still in the rat race unfortunately as it is just not feasible at the present time to do anything else. Working towards being as self-sufficient as possible though!

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 11:40:32 am »
 :o Whoo Hoo!!  :o

More Lincolnshire-ites!!

Hello from Rhyan & Melissa near Grantham (yuk) - we are both still working (not long moved up from London) and Mel is still commuting daily.

We have 500m2 allotment plot, 30 acres of land I can shoot and one cat at the minute!!  Plans for a full small holding though!

Maybe the Lincolnshire Massive can share skills?

Nice to meet you!

Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 01:17:41 pm »
Hi and welcome from drizzly Clackmannanshire!

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 01:52:06 pm »
:o Whoo Hoo!!  :o

More Lincolnshire-ites!!

Hello from Rhyan & Melissa near Grantham (yuk) - we are both still working (not long moved up from London) and Mel is still commuting daily.

We have 500m2 allotment plot, 30 acres of land I can shoot and one cat at the minute!!  Plans for a full small holding though!

Maybe the Lincolnshire Massive can share skills?

Nice to meet you!

Good to hear there are more Lincolnshire peeps here. Our little just under an acre plot is pretty small scale compared to yours!! Looking to make the most of what we have though. We moved up from London 10 years ago for the country life.

Rhyan & Melissa

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 03:06:55 pm »
Oops - the 30 acres isn't actually mine, just somewhere I am allowed to shoot!

wish it was though!

Rhyan & Melissa

Pea Pod Burgundy Ltd

Blog:      www.peapodburgundy.blogspot.com/
Twitter:   www.twitter.com/peapodburgundy
Web:      www.peapodburgundy.co.uk

You can also find us on Facebook and Myspace!

lordlonk

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 05:39:02 pm »
absolutly no land right now  but looking at a 12 acre and huge shed - (the all important shed) this ones a huge one  75 feet by 60 feet - some people get all excited about the size of there tractors -  i just want a big shed for now - imalso looking at  45 acres thats 35 of grazing and 10 woodland - sounds a bit exspensive but im shocked at its cost -i think theres a catch  on the larger acrearge one -i think the buyers responsbile for a private water supply pipeline that runs underneath the land and thus whoever buys gets the  land cheapand a big bill afterwards.

Got a little property to selll and then im on me way .

In the meantime the ex has 4 acres she rents  with water for £20a week - maybe she will let me nick a bit forsome veg in the spring - maybe she will fill it up with cows - shes getting another which will now be 6 if she does .

nice thats theres a few of us here.

:chook: :cow: :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS