Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem bottle feeding orphan lamb  (Read 10115 times)

dennd1906

• Joined Apr 2011
Problem bottle feeding orphan lamb
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:12 pm »
I have a newly orphaned 4 week old lamb, orphaned on Saturday evening.  She's fit and healthy and hungry but is, understandably, refusing to bottle feed.  She is in a shelter and grassed pen with another ewe for company within the field of 3 ewes and another lamb.  I am trying to feed with Lamlac 3 times a day but since Saturday night she has barely had 150ml and creep feed is too new to touch.  Does anyone have any suggestions or will perserverence win? 

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Problem bottle feeding orphan lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:51:48 pm »
Perseverance does help. Also, get the milk AND the teat body-warm - I've found this really helps with lambs/kids who've fed from a real mum.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 06:16:51 pm »
Just keep going some take few days some alot longer ,they tend to drink in stops and starts

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:25 pm »
Not really - its really hard to get them going on a bottle when they have lost mum that late on.

All you can do is keep trying, offer creep (keep it fresh, if it doesn't get eaten, replace it rather than let it go stale), fine hay, and fresh water.

Good luck - you will need it.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 02:43:06 am »
It is tricky with older lambs, unfortunately.  Do you have other lambs you are bottle-feeding?  They do copy each other, so if you can have it penned with other lamb(s) while you feed it/them, this one may get inquisitive and start trying to copy its mate(s)

I have one such at the moment.  Strangebod has teatphobia I think, he's interested and wants to copy Snotter his mate (came in with pneumonia, all well now apart from the projectile snotting as he finishes his bottle - eeeyewwww) but as soon as the teat touches his lips he seems frightened and runs backwards.  I am now feeding him with the teat concealed in my hand while I get it into his mouth.  We finish each feed with a few moments of 'facing the fear' but progress is very slow...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

dennd1906

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 03:22:09 pm »
Thank you for your replies.  We are not much further on but I have spent time 'bonding', have changed to a teat with a smaller hole and made sure it is warm.  Athough she only managed 50ml at lunchtime she didn't object quite so much, so there may be hope.  I don't have another lamb on the bottle to copy, but she is copying the ewe she is in with and is nibbling grass and hay.  I have a problem with the creep feed though because the ewe scoffs it all.  I will perservere.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 04:15:51 pm »
If you have an old metal hay rack put it upside down over a seed tray with creep in and fasten it to the wall securely the ewe cant get in but the lamb can. I think you can buy hanging basket types that look like hayracks that would do.

dennd1906

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 09:51:01 pm »
Just to let you know, my lamb has started to take the bottle, thank goodness.  She's not taking a whole bottle just yet but she has improved so much that she is back in the field with the other ewes and will run over to feed when she sees me.   I feel I can breathe a sigh of relief for now, until the next one.  One more late lamb to go.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS