Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: URGENT HELP..Upset tummies.  (Read 3552 times)

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
URGENT HELP..Upset tummies.
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:28 am »
Hi there. Three days ago, Billy had a touch of the runs. It only lasted a few hours then seemed to clear itself up. He was fine the following day. Yesterday, he started getting very loose again and then this morning, I noticed that Toby is going the same way. They seem fine in themselves and will not stop eating. They seem to be drinking okay, they have pellets as well as hay to eat and for treats, a handful of corn. They also love the shoots from old corn that has germinated from the chooks food. Im going to cut out the corn and the shoots today, but before I trouble the vets, is there anything I can give them to try and bung them up a bit?
All help gratefully received.

Mary.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
Re: URGENT HELP..Upset tummies.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:12:10 am »
Ring me as soon as possible    01647 231456

Sprouted corn is potentially poisonous.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:44:23 am »
Thankyou so VERY much for your help today. Pellets have now been withdrawn, and boys have been told there will be no further treats for a good while. Needless to say, we feel very guilty that through our ignorance, we have made our little boys poorly.

Thanks again,

Mary.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:31 pm »
They'll be fine...after all you were only following some poor advice.   

Goats are not delicate but they are browsers and we do tend to feed them too much.

Just give them time to re-adjust, but wait until their droppings are normal again before feeding.

Another thought !  At their age, they probably need worming.  Good idea to use an Ivermectin based wormer at the correct dosage for weight....details on bottle !....could also get it from Vet but likely to be more expensive.
Don't use Panacur,  goats seem resistant to it and therefore a waste of money.  The Ivermectin can be internally dosed or as a pour-on down the spine.  I would get advice from your Vet regarding the local worm population...it can differ from area to area.

Good Luck.

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:17:54 am »
Wytsend..thanks to you putting me straight yesterday, the boys are so much better today, and as far as I can tell, their tummies have improved greatly. They are so much more vocal today too, which I take to be a sign of wellbeing. They keep hoping that they will get treats when I go out to them, but its hay only for another day or so.

Thanks again.

Mary.

divanp75

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Caithness
    • Scotshaven
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:14 pm »
for treats i tend to give bananas or carrots :)

glad they are feeling better

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »
oh my goodness! what a scare. so glad they are feeling better today and that you were able to speak to Wytsend.
I lost one of my whethers to scour in the first week of owning goats - too much grass, possiblya reaction to land that was used for sheep before or even too much concentrate. we don't know but it was awful. Recently one of my girls developed runs and thankfully i noticed it early and put her on hay and water only. within 48 hours she was fine.
its a steep learning curve x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 06:39:39 pm »
oh my goodness! what a scare. so glad they are feeling better today and that you were able to speak to Wytsend.
I lost one of my whethers to scour in the first week of owning goats - too much grass, possiblya reaction to land that was used for sheep before or even too much concentrate. we don't know but it was awful. Recently one of my girls developed runs and thankfully i noticed it early and put her on hay and water only. within 48 hours she was fine.
its a steep learning curve x
You are not wrong there. I cant believe the difference a day makes though. I dont think its my imagination, but they seem happier, brighter, certainly noisier and have more energy. Im so relieved you wouldnt believe!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »
I probably would believe! have been there, its horrid.
I adore my goats, they are seriously spoiled and it is a standing joke in local business circles how the goats of its  Baaath Time are the boss and I merely work for them!! we can only do our very best  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 05:58:27 pm »
Boys fully recovered and enjoying their new type food. This is the latest picture, taken yesterday of my babies!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS