Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rejected lambs  (Read 11716 times)

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
Rejected lambs
« on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:38 am »
I've been reading up on this as my ewe is sort of rejecting her lambs. I've stuck with it all night and she may take the boy. She'll let them both suckle, mewls at them when they cry, is ok with them as long as they only present their bottoms not faces to her. I'm persevering until the meuconium comes and HOPE that might settle her.

I have had two weeks off for lambing but was supposed to go back today! Can you believe it.

My question is all the posts look like it is a pretty lost cause and the ewe who rejects young never relents.... shall I abandon my efforts and get some sleep!?

AengusOg

Re: Rejected lambs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 09:50:24 am »
I'm not sure what you mean by 'abandon my efforts', but I hope you can keep the lambs going even if the ewe cannot accept them.

Some ewes reject their lambs but come round when the milk gets through the lambs' systems. Others just don't want anything to do with the lambs at all, ever.

Years ago, we used to have things called lamb adopters which were circular, and held four or five ewes with their heads restrained in a yoke. The ewes all faced each other in the centre of the circle, and the lambs lived in the wedge-shaped space where the ewe's body was. That often helped the lambs to feed without being knocked about by the ewe's head, but some ewes just kicked so much that the lambs still could not feed unmolested.

A halter can be used to restrain a ewe while the lambs feed, if the ewe is tied to the corner of the pen. Some shepherds turn the ewe over onto her haunch, with her back toward their legs, and bring the lambs forward to sook at the up-turned teats.

Whatever the problems, it is essential that young lambs get colostrum, and four-hourly feeds whether they be from their dam or from a tube or bottle.

Lambs which are being artificially fed for an interim period, and which are to be returned to their dam for natural rearing, are best fed through a tube eased gently into their stomach, and the milk allowed to gravitate into them. If lambs which are finding it difficult to feed from their dams are bottle fed, there is a risk that they will lose the desire to sook the ewe, and that will cause more problems.

When trying to get a lamb to sook its dam, the best way is to use one hand, under its bottom jaw, to open its mouth and insert the ewe's teat, while the other hand pushes the lamb forward by pressure on its bottom. Pressure on the top of the lambs head will only result in the lamb pushing upwards, or reversing out, and that can make it difficult to attach it to the teat.

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:32:33 am »
Thank you for the info'. The ewe lets the lambs suckle fine, licks their behinds and 'talks' to them, and checks them when they are asleep. It is only when they are awake and turn to face her that she butts them away. Given what you have said I'll persevere until the milk goes through them - there isn't much so I'm forced to top up as they are not very thrifty-looking and want to keep them strong as possible to keep going to the teat (which they do)....but I'll try today and see if things settle down.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
I suspect you are worrying too much. If she lets them suck then where is the problem? Can you express milk from the teat? How old are the lambs. If they are more than 7 hours old they would be nearly dead if they had not been sucking. They only take a little at a time to start with. If she lets them on then leave her to it. Make sure they are in a smallish space so they can't get seperated

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »
Mostly sheep just get on with it and too much hovering might put them off.  If you really think there is a problem then milk a handful from the ewe and dollop it on each lambs head - ewes will love that.  The only difficulty we have had with getting ewes to accept lambs is if we are actually adopting them on for some reason, when all the tricks are needed (and that is what those circular adopters are for), but when it's their own lamb rejection is unlikely (occasionally if there is something wrong with a lamb it may be rejected).  The butting you describe may simply be the ewe trying to push her lambs to the right place to suck.
In the case of genuine rejection of (adopted) lambs, it is by no means a lost cause - it's just a battle of wills.  It may take 5 days for the ewe to accept the lambs, but as long as your will is stronger than hers, she will take them.  But it sounds to me as if your ewe is doing exactly as she should - suckling her lambs (ewes suckle, lambs suck), talking to them and positioning them to feed from her.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:39:50 pm »
No sadly not. She has supposedly had twin lamb disease and it's heartbreaking to have topped her up for 2 weeks on TL boost and calciject to get to live lambs, then this. Although they both drink and tummy's look full I went to adopt the little one onto a ewe I've just lambed. She took her but the twin is now very weak. Have tubed her and put her under a heat lamp with new mum but she is now even weaker and it's asking a lot of the new mum to take her now.

I've left the boy with his mum who knocks him across the small pen - no mistaking trying to get him to the teat! She seems rather confused. I've started bottle feeding him too as the mum's milk is obviously not doing the job. I've arranged for someone to do it mid day feed tomorrow but I have to go back to work so I am feeling very disheartened....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 06:39:27 pm »
Ah well that is a different story if the ewe is herself ill - she will not be able to produce enough milk for twins and possibly not even for one.  Sounds as if you will need to bottle feed the lamb she still has and give the ewe extra feeding until she recovers.  It sounds a very stressful time for you and I hope it all turns out well.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Madcow

• Joined Jan 2011
  • France
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:48 am »
how's it all going,  has the ewe perked up and is she allowing the ram lamb to feed, hows the little ewe lamb doing, they've had such a tricky start, hope all goes well, at least the weathers warm to help them stay strong.
All good wishes to you and the little family, its heartbreaking when you have put so much effort in to keep them all well  :hshoe:

old bird

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 07:22:30 pm »
Ah thanks. The 2nd lamb died. I was so l ow about it as I had a plan to foster her onto a sheep due the next day. I topped up the 'reject' at 2 (still in with mum), went to attend the ewe lambing and catch all the fluids in a bucket. I got the reject in at the same time as the newborn and mother took them both. All's well?! No. The little reject faced before my eyes. I tubed her some artifical volostrum and put her under a heatlamp but no use. Even a last attempt glucose injection did no good and 2 hours later she died. After 26 hours and only 2 hours sleep trying to solve the issue it was so gutting. However bad mama is now out with her boy and has taken him. She is still gormless and wanders off and calls and calls (he is a silent happy wee chap)...but they seem to be doing ok.

I now have ANOTHER problem (I Swear I'm never lambing again) so I'll do another post.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS