Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why do they do it  (Read 2124 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Why do they do it
« on: April 15, 2011, 04:15:24 pm »
Why, when you walk into a field of sheep first thing in the morning does one of them pretend to be dead? Not always the same one though, I think they take it in turns :-\ :-\ ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Why do they do it
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:41 pm »
Our neighbour came rushing round last week to say that one of our lambs was in distress - flat out, ewe pawing at it. My heart sank - you know how it does. Dan and I shot round - saw the lamb flat out - one of Jura's twins. Jura was grazing nearby and the other lamb lying near her. Looked at the flat out white one - and he opened one eye, jumped up and ran to his mommy for a feed  ;D

Neighbour peering over the wall, very embarassed. We gave her half a dozen eggs and told her we were happy to have false alarms and that we were grateful to her for keeping an eye out. Good neighbours - worth their weight in gold - and we've a few golden ones round here  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »
I have a horse who does that, he lies flat out in the field with his mouth open looking like a corpse. He only gets up when you get close. But my friend has a horse who you actually have to poke and shout at in order to rouse her when flat out snoring in the field, which is worse!

The lambs doing it is bad cos they are so little so it's quite feasible they could be dead, they look too little to be as tough as they turn out!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:08:55 pm »
They say that a sheep's main goal in life is to meet their maker as soon as possible and that it's the shepherd's job to delay this  :D I'd say that sheep had a subsidiary goal which is to hurry up the shepherd along the same route  ::)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:26:29 pm »
My husband does it on a Saturday morning in the hope I'll forget its his turn to get up and do the animals - or maybe he did die and I just didn't notice...... :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 03:02:41 pm »
 :D

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:58 pm »
 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS