Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerals no more  (Read 3771 times)

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
Cockerals no more
« on: January 18, 2009, 07:24:22 am »
We came home last night to find our huge buff orpington cockeral just laying in the garden head down in a heap but still breathing. We had pretty bad gales up here yesterday so I assumed he must have got blown into the fence and had been winded then the cold had started to set in. We brought him inside and laid him next to the fire to warm him through and he seemed to be making a recovery as after a few hours he started to move his wings and lift his head. All looking good then all of a sudden down he went...cockeral no more  :( Thinking it was proberly the shock that killed him but going to check him over today to see if there was anything internal.  Its a real shame and the wife was quite upset as she had planned on showing him next year.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Cockerals no more
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 06:48:35 pm »
Shame - they are a lovely breed.

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:01 pm »
Yes after deciding to keep him was a bit of a blow. On a happier note we found a hiding place where the hens have been laying the last few day and collected 15 eggs this morning :-)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 11:12:54 pm »
And if you hatch some you may have another cockerel to keep his lines going? ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:01:41 am »
I have 2 Buff Orpington cockerels who are about 15 weeks old. We were going to keep one and you are very welcome to the other one if you want. We are based just outside Glasgow not sure where you are.

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 11:59:43 am »
Thanks for that andrew but we're down in north yorkshire. Might see if I can get a incubator in the next few days and try and hatch a few.

pattimontreal

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:34:07 pm »
Hi!  Had a Buff Orpington rooster that got heatstroke one day so we stuck him in a bucket of cold water and he resurrected!  There are some clever "homemade" incubators on youtube.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS