Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I do with this?  (Read 7981 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What do I do with this?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:58 am »
Hi Karen  :wave:. Great you know where to source barrels  :)  How about then using your persuasive powers on CSSA members to go along with the build-a-bed idea?  If anyone can do it you can  ;) ;D  Then it's just a case of organising a little Barbeque  :) :)   I got the idea because I have had help from our local smallholders group - Biggar Area SmallHolders aka BASH.  A few weeks ago 3 members came along to help me clear out the polytunnel, so it went from a disaster area to totally cleared in about 2 hours.  Then yesterday three different members plus children came to help us get the new cover on.  It was such fun and a bit like a barn raising, where everyone swoops in , does the work then has a big feast.  Except for us after we'd done the work we were all too tired to prepare the feast  :(  It had been a little too windy so holding the cover down while it was all nailed on was really hard work - we thought all of us would be flown away on a huge kite  :o ;D  It makes what could be days of work for one person on their own (or with the tunnel impossible without several people) into a fun event which leaves one person with something wonderful, and everyone feeling great.  We cut hay for another member in the same way, with helpers getting a percentage of the hay once it's made - turns it into a real old-fashioned haymaking  :)  There are lots of jobs in smallholding which are so much easier to get done communally.

For the blue barrels, OH says avoid any which have had corrosive or toxic substances in - even if you could clean them out there would still be the problem of disposing of the wash water safely.  Barrels which have had something more benign in can be scrubbed with detergent and water and pressure washed.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 04:53:26 pm »
That sounds like a brill idea Juliet & Karen  :wave:

Put us down on the list - helping & help required  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 07:15:00 pm »
It sounds a great idea, but not sure what I could do in return?  I'm not fit enough to do hard labour, could maybe help with tax returns and book-keeping?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:20 pm »
You'd be surprised how many peops need help with them Annie  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 10:39:08 pm »
You're probably right.  Happy to help anyone.  I suppose you're too far away for the CSSA meetings in Stirling, aren't you? :wave:  Would be good to meet you. Same sense of humour I suspect! ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 12:07:52 am »
It sounds a great idea, but not sure what I could do in return?  I'm not fit enough to do hard labour, could maybe help with tax returns and book-keeping?

Annie, you don't have to do anything in return.  I'm sure you have helped other people many times in the past in all sorts of ways, and now it's your turn to be on the receiving end when you need something done.  If it can be organised then we will do it  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS