Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from Cornwall  (Read 2524 times)

hobbyfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
Hi from Cornwall
« on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:20 am »
Hello ,

I call myself a hobby farmer as thats what my colleagues call me. I work full time as a postie as does my OH but we have a few acres of land where we keep a variety of animals. Obviously the aim is to leave the work we are doing and to concentrate on the smallolding.

We have plans and are slowly working towards them. We keep chickens, ducks and quail for their eggs and my OH has a sideline in making cakes. We also keep some rare breeds . We  have some manx and leicester longwool sheep and a small flock of ouessant ( still looking for a registered ram). We had until recently a pair of bagot goats but sadly our wonderful billy died and we were very concerned for his companion. However having been away on a shopping trip we were surprised to find on our return that a lovely kid had been born against all expectations.

We have a veg patch but are still working on the plans for a polytunnel and fruit cage.

We also have 3 kune kune pigs that arrived unexpectantly but they are great fun. My OH loves them dearly!

We hope by joining the forum we can gain advice to help us progress and to occasionally offer opinion.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hi from Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:24 am »
Hello from nearly as far away from you as I can be and still be in England.  (North Cumbria)

Sally
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 07:47:22 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:52:17 am »
Welcome! We are also in Cornwall, just outside of St Austell  :wave: ;D

Scarlett

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
Hello  :wave: from not so sunny now Somerset.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 02:50:25 pm »
Welcome from just over the water in Brittany.  I dont know about all the regulations but ouessants are very cheap here would it be possible to import a ram?

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 04:44:02 pm »
Hello from Helston, where weve had some very welcome rain today.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 05:54:33 pm »
Hello from Somerset

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 06:54:36 pm »
Welcome - we are also Cornwall, between Helston and Hayle :o)
At the moment we have 3  :pig: (OSB x GOS) and 6  :chook: (ex batt), 2  :dog: and have just started experimenting with a big polytunel :o)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 07:32:48 pm »
Nothing wrong with being a hobby farmer! Can you think of a better hobby to have?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Sandy

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
Hi, we were going move to Roasland near Menheriot in Cornwall, but due to our house sale falling through and Location Location Location, we are here in Central Scotland, just holding our own with a B&B and some chickens for breakfasts and a pair of very noisy ducks and four labs, maybe 6 if we do not sell our 2 male pups!! Welcome

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 11:41:19 pm »

Hi, and welcome from NW Sutherland!

We have Kunes and chickens, and also planning on a polytunnel.

chrispy4949

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 01:02:37 pm »
Hi from Bulgaria. chrispy4949.    :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS