Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chick food ?????  (Read 3820 times)

miccon63

• Joined Aug 2010
  • cupar
chick food ?????
« on: April 07, 2011, 02:12:08 pm »
My three chicks hatched just over a week ago. (thanks to meebh for the eggs) is chick crumb the only food they can eat???? and any hints or tips on the young one appreciated im new to very young birds....TA..... ??? ::)

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
Re: chick food ?????
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 03:14:51 pm »
i only ever feed my chicks crumbs until they are 5-6 weeks old or off heat then i mix it with pellets graduley less crumbs more pellets untill only pellets then they get the greens etc like everyone else
sam :chook:

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:49 pm »
Hi Mark

So glad to hear the chicks are doing well.

We too only feed chick crumbs until they are 6 weeks old then move on to rearer pellets until they are nearly POL. 
Since they are being brought up by a broody unless they are showing signs of illness there really is very little you need to do in terms of intervention. 

Just take time to sit back and say 'awww' as our fluffy babies are now 6 weeks fully feathered and quite big.

:wave:

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 06:14:06 pm »
I was advised I could give them some thoroughly mashed boiled egg for a bit of a boost.  The mother hen seemed to eat most of it though!   ::)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 06:32:32 pm »
Our 1st 3 incubator-hatched are still indoors at the mo (month-old x-breeds), as we've had a bit of a nightmare getting their new house & run delivered (they will be free-range eventually with their parents :) )  It finally arrived yesterday, so they will be going out this weekend  ;D

I have been giving them a small handful of fresh grass every day this week to get them ready to face the real thing & they enjoy the odd lettuce leaf too  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:36 pm »
Our 1st 3 incubator-hatched are still indoors at the mo (month-old x-breeds), as we've had a bit of a nightmare getting their new house & run delivered (they will be free-range eventually with their parents :) )  It finally arrived yesterday, so they will be going out this weekend  ;D

I have been giving them a small handful of fresh grass every day this week to get them ready to face the real thing & they enjoy the odd lettuce leaf too  :yum:
Short grass I hope - they can choke on long grass, and adults can get impacted crops if it's long.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 07:50:41 pm »
Only trimmed tops Annie  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »
Boiled eggs mashed well are a great boost for your wee chicks Ive done the same for years and they thrive on it........But as others have said chick crumbs is all that is needed for the first 6 weeks

Dave

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:18 am »
We have a few extra eggs at the mo, will give them a try & see what they think  :yum:

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »
I scrambled some eggs for my youngsters & they wouldn't touch them at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS