Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Steptoe has a cough, RIP Wee Man. x  (Read 3431 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Steptoe has a cough, RIP Wee Man. x
« on: March 31, 2011, 09:06:09 pm »
Steptoe, my first ever egg to hatch out of the incubator (yes I know which was him as he has a bent toe, hence the name) Has developed a cough, he's had it for a few days now, has been isolated and poultry spice and garlic and mint hasnt helped, his crow is a sqawk although he looks very healthy.

I've tried, but think he needs to go to the great chicken coop in the sky, are we all in agreement?  :(

Or does anyone have a miracle cure?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 03:29:58 pm by ponyntrap »

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Steptoe has a cough
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 10:14:13 pm »
How old is Steptoe now, you dont say , a chick or adult. It could be gapes , is he wormed.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 10:54:06 pm »
If he's quite bright, and otherwise healthy, I'd give him a chance. I would also try him with a course of Tylan - but then I have some in my cupboard so it's easy for me :P Unless of course you are looking for an excuse to have him for sunday lunch ;D

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 11:11:32 pm »
Steptoe is approaching 1 yr old, he is on his second day of his new worming, what is gapes? and what is tylan?  I really dont want to despatch him and defo dont want him as sunday lunch, ths is my first year of chicken keeping, any help appreciated!  :)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 11:32:52 pm »
Gapes is a condition caused by gape worms in the 'throat ' area , it makes them gasp or' gape' If he is being wormed then no probs it will go. If it is that is!

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 07:52:18 am »
I dont think its that, this morning I notice his comb is very very dark, almost maroon, he isnt gasping but I have heard him wheeze.  He is on another day of wormer, poultry spice and a bit of garlic and mint but, well, I dont know if it is working.  OH was going to despatch him this morning but after putting this post on I asked him to give him a bit longer, so am thinking Sunday, if no better then he'll go, I will ring the vet though and ask about Tylan.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:30:53 am »
Tylan is an antibiotic for enteritis and respiratory problems, it is added to the drinking water and has literally zero withdrawal period, so it's easy to administer. But I've found it's only effective against mild symptoms. If Steptoes comb is dark purple now then I would ask the vet about Baytril - it's given twice daily either by injection or orally, it seems to do better when there are serious symptoms. But he will need to be seperated from the flock, and since he's a boy withdrawal periods aren't relevant. Vet might inject him first then you can continue the course with the oral stuff.
Good luck with him. :)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 11:46:49 am »
Have rang the vet, am off to collect Baytril!  Thank you for that advice, fingers crossed it works!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »
good luck, and love the name ... I might have to steal for my Redcap who hatched with a twisted foot!!
Little Blue

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Steptoe has a cough, RIP Wee Man. x
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »
This morning, although Steptoe had started his Baytril, he looked even worse, his comb was darker, although not as many coughs his breathing was very laboured and his crow, well, was hardly a sqawk.  I gave him his medicine and his breakfast, he had a cough and splutter then puffed himself up into a ball.  He then went back into his coop and sat there puffed up with eyes closed, breathing very heavily.

We couldnt stand to watch him suffer anymore, he wasnt he happy chirpy self, he looked very tired and sad.  So, OH did what we think is right and he is now resting in peace next to my polytunnel, next spring, there should be a little bunch of daffs to remind me of him.

I cant believe how upset I am.

Rest In Peace Steptoe, Crow Loudly at Rainbow Bridge Little Man. xxx

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 05:06:32 pm »
Oh no  :( RIP Steptoe.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:04:02 pm »
sorry to hear that pony. at least you know you gave him every chance. :'(

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 11:20:49 pm »
Oh, what a shame.  Poor Steptoe.  I got very attached to our Buff Sussex cockerel, who had hatched with a twisted foot, too.  He loved for me to pick him up and carry him down the field, and  stroke him.  Not easy when he was fully grown.  I was really upset when he went off his legs and died

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS