Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when is a lamb classed as 'premature' ?  (Read 9425 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
when is a lamb classed as 'premature' ?
« on: January 17, 2009, 04:51:14 pm »
What is a normal safe birthing 'range' around the expected birth date for a sheep ?   Is it typical for them to safely deliver e.g two days before or after ?Have one ewe that lambed twins last night (16th) that was due on 21st Jan and all seems well (so far !) and the other due about 23rd lambed twins early this morning (17th) - one initially ok but then died later and the other has what could be described as 'soft' front legs 'bent the wrong way' at the knee.   Was therefore wondering what a healthy gestation period 'range' is - how early are they before they are classed as 'premature'.

Are there any particular reasons for prematurity ?   Both are shearlings and first time lambers.  Both had a note of the date when raddle mark appeared noted and scanning backed up approx due date.  Both well fed and housed for just under two weeks before lambing

Any comments welcome - beginner who needs to learn !

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: when is a lamb classed as 'premature' ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:51:53 pm »
Hrm, not sure what the definative safe range for sheep is. Generally speaking with goats (and sheep to a certain extend), the gestation is 150 days and the young should be viable from day 137. That is just under 2 weeks. I've had goat kids born a week premature who haven't been able to make it, and yet I've seen a goat kid survive being born a full fortnight early. It can depend on how big and strong the lambs are, and that can vary from sheep to sheep. It can also depend on how many they have. The more they have, the less chance their lungs will be as well developed. Those are the gestation and viable figures we've always gone with- I assume thats because my mother had it drummed into her in veterinary training.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS