Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pinworms  (Read 2529 times)

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
Pinworms
« on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:17 pm »
Two ponies that share a paddock with my pony have pinworms. They are being treated by the vet. Am I better off separating my pony from them? The two ponies are elderley and are more prone to pinworms.  :horse:

AengusOg

Re: Pinworms
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 11:44:59 pm »
Parasites exist by finding susceptible hosts. It may be that your pony is already 'infected'. Perhaps you should treat it anyway. ;)

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:45:41 am »
I am going to treat my pony as well. Didnt know if would be of any benefit to keep mine separate  :)

white-blazes

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:57:46 am »
Is the field poo-picked daily?  If so, it might be ok to keep yours with them still, otherwise I'd not want one of mine to be in the same paddock.

AengusOg

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 03:38:11 pm »
Female pin worms move down the bowel and emerge at the horse's anus where they lay their eggs. The eggs, and the jelly-like substance which attaches them to the horse's skin, irritate the horse and may cause it to rub on woodwork, etc.. This causes hair damage and this can be a sign of infestation.

The larvae hatch in a couple of days and drop off into bedding, and are ingested by the horse and so the cycle continues.

Stabled horses are more susceptible than those kept out, as the larvae do not normally exist for long on pasture.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:53:25 am by AengusOg »

maybelle

• Joined Sep 2010
  • worcestershire
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:39 pm »
The paddock is poo picked daily so i think i will leave him where he is. The other pony has rubbed all the hair next to his tail and has had a very sore bottom. They have had the vet and he is on steroid injections. My pony is ok, think i will just keep an eye on him daily to see how it goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS