Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: prolapse - any one experienced this ?  (Read 8115 times)

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
prolapse - any one experienced this ?
« on: January 10, 2009, 06:37:21 pm »
Hi

unfortunately I have a ewe with a prolapse - she is about 9/10 days away from lambing  Have had vet out who has put stitches in and she is being monitored  This evening tho showed still had some prolapse (albeit smaller) above the stitched area

does anyone have experience of this ?   Ewes are with an experienced friend for lambing as it's my first time this year.  Have obviously sought friend and vet's guidance but would welcome additional comments from those who have also had this problem

I understand that whatever happens the ewe should not be bred from again.  What is the thinking re progeny from such a ewe ?  if we get that far (which isn't likely?) is this a trait that lambs would carry with them ?

any comments welcome - want to learn as much as poss, thanks

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: prolapse - any one experienced this ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 07:48:40 pm »
Well, if she was mine I would notch her lambs ear at birth (a permanaent and unmissable mark) and would then be sure not to keep her as a breeding replacement. In all fairness she should go to the butcher. Having said that it really depends on how tough you are in selecting your replacements -if your sheep are pets, you might give any ewe lamb the benefit of the doubt.

we have selected hard for easy lambing so any ewes that have a difficult lambing go - and so do their daughters. Breeding problems tend to be hereditary
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 09:33:11 pm »
thanks for the reply VSS      Although my small flock will be pets as well I am planning to be tough about not keeping anything with likely hereditary problems as I've got limited grazing and am aiming to produce show stock so can't afford to use up space for 'problem' sheep.   

Easier said than done mind you as although I've only had them at home for a few months I'm fond of them already !!  As with most of them she is a 'sociable' ewe   Hoping that she will make it to lambing and beyond then would try to find her a non-breeding home with a horsey friend as a grass cleaner-upper ?!

What do you think the chances are of her getting to lambing given that she is still has a prolapse after stitching ??

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:50:10 am »
Prolapse in ewes are fairly common in commercial flocks and chances of reaching lambing can be good say 75%.
many farms use a T shaped 'spoon' to help retain the prolapse in place in worst cases 2 are used. along with a course of antibiotics. The ewe must be watched carefully tho as the spoon needs to be removed at lambing.

as others have said the ewe should be culled as she is unlikely to concieve next year and if she does is likely to be worse

'spoons can also be used after lambing in prolapse cases as well.
Ian

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 11:44:59 am »
thanks for replies

ewe looks much better this morning, nibbling at haylage and proplapse above stitching gone back in for now !  fingers crossed

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 10:13:37 pm »
I don't think the tendenacy to prolapse is hereditary- there shouldn't be a problem with the lamb. As everyone has said, you can't really breed from the ewe again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS