Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: LAMB HELP!!!  (Read 2996 times)

PeterPan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Wales
LAMB HELP!!!
« on: March 20, 2011, 08:57:33 am »
Hi

Our adopted lamb was fine last night - thos morning he is cold, limp and seems to be having a fit -  uncontraollable limb movements. He can drink when offered.

Any ideas?   Please help?

I'm cycling 400km across Kenya for Women V Cancer!

For more Info, or to Sponsor me, please visit www.justgiving.com/kenyachallenge2012

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
Re: LAMB HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 09:07:03 am »
cold and limp would make me think of giving him a drench, but I dont know enough to comment on the fits.have you got a farmer friend to help.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 09:09:17 am »
get him warm and put a finger into his mouth to see if he is really warm, his mouth shouldnt feel cold.there are  better people on here to advise you but they are not on yet.

PeterPan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 09:34:51 am »
Thanks - he is now curled up in front of the fire sleeping. The fitting has stopped and he looks very peaceful. Is breathing nice and strong so suppose we'll just have to sit and wait  :(
I'm cycling 400km across Kenya for Women V Cancer!

For more Info, or to Sponsor me, please visit www.justgiving.com/kenyachallenge2012

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 10:02:15 am »
Are you sure it was a fit?  Could it have been extreme shaking due to having got extremely cold?  Make sure he is kept warm for a few days, and draught free - is he outside normally?  How did he get so cold?  If he does have a proper fit there may be something wrong with him and I'd check with the vet.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:38:03 pm »
A hypothermic lamb can have convulsions head shaking,leg paddling .Keep warm and fed.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 08:32:36 am »
hows he doing now.

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »
Always warm a lamb before feeding it under such circumstances. A cold lamb cannot digest anything.

Perhaps the lamb needs a heat lamp at night. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 02:08:17 pm by AengusOg »

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »
Glad he's warmer now  :)
put a finger into his mouth to see if he is really warm, his mouth shouldnt feel cold
That's the way to check. If a lamb gets very cold, you sometimes need to stomach tube them with a glucose mix cos if they warm up they then become hypoglycaemic if they haven't been feeding. He needs heat at night, and in the day if cold - he would have a large, woolly ewe to snuggle into in the normal scheme of things! You can get 'discs' that you heat up in the microwave that retain heat for a while, but a heat lamp, the Aga, a friendly dog are all good 'keeping warm all night' alternatives.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS