Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lamb with poorly eyes  (Read 6811 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
lamb with poorly eyes
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:37:13 am »
With my ryelands I always have a couple that get sticky eyes for a couple of days normally in there second week. Well as usual one did and I bathed for a couple of days and it cleared up. Now I have a ewe lamb that has sticky eyes for a few days and we have been bathing 3-4 times a day but i have noticed that her eyelids are curling inwards, but it has only happened in her second week she was fine until then. Does anyone else with Ryelands have this problem?

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: lamb with poorly eyes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:38:34 am »
eye drops from vet?

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 09:47:52 am »
Classic thing with ryelands and southdowns and others with long eyelashes - called entropion.  The bottom eyelid is turned in onto the eye and the eyelashes rub on the surface making it sore.  Several things can be done.  Best and simplest is to take the lower eyelid and push it down with your thumb to pop it out.  Then take the bottom eyelid and pinch it between your finger nails to make it a little swollen - this helps to prevent the eyelid from turning back in on itself.  Should then clear up in a couple of days.

Other options are antibiotic injection on lower eyelid to do the same as pinching or opticlox cream but still need to pull eye lid out and hold it.

This is generally considered to be genetic so avoid keeping any lambs with this condition for breeding.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 09:49:50 am »
yeah OH is going to pop her up tomorrow as the eyelids are definately curled under

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 01:32:14 pm »
I've never experienced this with my Ryelands (yet  ;D) but have sen it in commercial flocks that I've worked with. I'd agree with what FF says. We never used any injections though - the manipulation always seemed to work.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 04:30:16 pm »
OH is doing that and we will wait and see. She really doesn't want to open her eyes bless her

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 07:20:16 pm »
I have had this in the past with my Ryelands. My vet normally puts clips in above if needed and below the eye with tweezers as manipulation never seemed to work for mine. The clips then fall out when the problem has sorted itself. You will need an eye ointment from the vets as the rubbing of the lashes on the eyeball can cause an ulcer.
It is normally hereditary, try using a different tup next season to try to breed out in later generations.
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS