Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finally a lamb of my own  (Read 3657 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Finally a lamb of my own
« on: March 17, 2011, 09:29:28 am »
I am chuffed to pieces that this morning one of my hebs has had a single lamb,mum and lamb now in bonding pen both doing well,we post pics when I go indoors.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Finally a lamb of my own
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:58 am »
congrats and best of luck with them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 11:18:18 am »
Hi Piggy.  Looking forward to seeing your Heb lamb pic.  Ours still have a couple more weeks to go.  Those little black lambs are just so wonderful  :) :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:04:46 pm »
Hi glad yours have started - non here yet. Do you know who the mother is? Best of luck with her.
Rose

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 02:57:13 pm »
Great !! marvalous !!!  looking forward to the pics, well done !!

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 03:28:23 pm »
Hi Worsel - I know the father he is the one on my icon. But The ewes came from me in lamb so the mother could be Polly, One horn, One & half horn, Beauty or one of the others. But I agree it is probably the one in the pen.  LOL. I have just been out to tell the ewes left here & encourage then to catch up. I would tell the father but he is not interested - at least the ewes came across to listen to me. ( or more likely hoping for early food)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 03:58:29 pm »
Well its been an eventfull morning this is what happened.
On early check around 6 there were no lambs went back out to feed them and do horses around 7 to find a lamb sitting in the middle of the straw with all the ewes just looking at the lamb,quickly checked its nose and mouth were clear all fine put him to his feet and i sat back and took photo 1 to see if anyone claimed him,no takers so just sat watching for a few mins then the ewe passed the afterbirth so bingo least i then knew who he belonged to,put them together in bonding pen and both seemed fine although he was not suckling certainly lively enough but small,left them for a little while but still no suckling so checked the ewe and the bag is there but no milk coming down,as he is now a few hours old and still not had any milk i have bottle fed him some Colostorum,kept checking them but still nothing,i had to pop out for an hour after lunch when i left they were curled up together and i came back to find him suckling away thank goodness.
Sorry pics arent great will get some more later.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:10:06 pm »
Poor wee thing - imagine being born into that lot and trying to work out which is mum  ;D ;D  'but they all look the same'  :o  You did the right thing, things in fact so all is well.  He will soon be bouncing around and growing, and there will soon be more little pals for him.  So exciting  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 06:02:26 pm »
That first picture is brilliant.  He looks so confused!  It was stressing me out reading it but glad it all worked out well. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS