Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strange things......  (Read 3417 times)

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Strange things......
« on: March 09, 2011, 07:06:52 pm »
Two herdwick sheep appeared on my land about 3 months ago.  They have been randomly roaming around.  No fences seem to hold them and they can fly over 5 bar gates with ease.  Caught one of them today and read its ear tag to try and find their owners.

Through DEFRA and several phone calls later, Turns out they were sold at market sometime last year as the owners couldn't do a thing with them, so no idea who bought them.

Anyone want them?  I you do, you have to catch them!!!!! ;D

princesspiggy

Re: Strange things......
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:02:10 pm »
sure they werent soays? mine used to do that!   lol  ;D ;D

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:09 pm »
After three months of people trying to catch them, I finally managed with me and the lovely Tess (my sheepdog).  I got them in a pen with my ewe lambs and tied their legs together, then loaded them into my little trailer and took them home.  I decided to stick them in the stable with high door and no means of escape and before I had even untied them they had jumped out and were charging across the yard!  Caught them again and have stuck them in big cattle trailer for the time being!

Who would want herdwicks and are they all like this?

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 01:10:43 pm »
Probably shoot and home slaughter as you suggested!!!!

Need and deserve chocolate before I make any decisions!! COmpletely knackered, even the dog is fast asleep!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:13:15 pm »
Well there is no such thing as a free lunch.... but a great story!

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 01:28:25 pm »
Ah Ha.....I nearly ran over a couple of Herdwicks on the top road a while back.....they then vanished over a hedge......must be same ones, well done for catching them, ones I saw were white so not youngsters......free mutton...yum yum!

About 20 years ago a friend of mine had 6....they are fast and can jump very high.....how do I know? Well had to try and catch the blighters for shearing ::)
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

thanks for sharing such an amusing story !! Me and my wife always admired Herdwicks !!  I think diferantly now!!  Load the rifle and tell us what Herdwicks taste like, but someone please tell us are they all like this??!!!

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

princesspiggy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:48 pm »
herdwicks are lovely. i had a really nice ewe and a shearling tup and they were so gorgeous! but also had a crazy one that had a screw loose, but her face was too narrow so maybe she wasnt pure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS