Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Evaporated milk yogurt recipe please  (Read 22646 times)

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Evaporated milk yogurt recipe please
« on: February 06, 2011, 12:55:37 pm »
When my kids were young I had an electric yoghurt maker and used to make fantastic creamy yoghurt with evaporated milk. I'm about to be given a new electric yoghurt maker (the sort with little glass jars) but can't for the life of me remember the recipe/quantities I used. Can anyone help please?
Thanks

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Evaporated milk yogurt recipe please
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 11:49:35 am »
Hi,

I'm using a yogurt maker with just the one container and use a large tin of evap + a tin full of water + two heaped teaspoons of natural yogurt as starter.  Have used yeo and onken, both worked, but don't use set - that was rubbish.
Makes about a litre and usually ends up quite thick and yummy!  Presumably you could divide it between several small pots instead of using one large one?  Hope this helps.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »
Thanks. That's what I thought I remembered - and no boiling, right? Will give it a go. Thanks again.

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »
Thats right, no boiling.  No trouble.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:26:43 pm »
I'm using a yogurt maker with just the one container and use a large tin of evap + a tin full of water + two heaped teaspoons of natural yogurt as starter. 

Yes, that's what we used to do, and it always worked fine.  Must see if I can get hold of a yoghurt maker now!!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 12:03:20 pm »
Hey guys, what make of yog maker do you all have ? wife is looking for one, i want to get a recommendation before i buy. Thanks all.

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »
Many years ago I used to have the one with the 6 little jars ,now I have this one http://www.lakeland.co.uk/electric-yoghurt-maker/F/keyword/yoghurt+maker/product/3440_3441

xnbacon

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 11:12:56 am »
I'm using that as well and its fine, quite basic and simple.  My one niggle with it was that it doesn't have a timer on it and, pedant that I am, I tried and failed to do 8 hours exactly.  However since we had no ill effects I have come to the conclusion its not THAT critical!  We use it overnight - is about the right length of time and get cheap electricity too.  You could plug it into a timer switch, though, if you did want it to start and stop at particular times.

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 02:36:17 pm »
Right, thanks for the help.. Have now made it using 1 can evap milk. 1 can water, couple of tablespoons of yogurt and it was yummy- thick and creamy without much whey on the top. The yoghurt maker i'm using is a Severin with seven (don't know why seven) small jars and you can get extra jars easily. It's about £20 and I know Amazon and I think Argos do it. I prefer it to the jug method as you can take a jar out with you (screw top) and the quanity described above fills each jar to 3/4 leaving room for fruit etc and hopefully honey if my bees perform this year.

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:33:40 pm »
Thanks for the info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS