Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: counting the losses  (Read 3439 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
counting the losses
« on: February 26, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »
I lost quite a few plants in the greenhouse this year - some out of pure negligence (Avocado, Ginger), some a bit unexpected, as I had thought they withstand the cold (Thyme, Lemon)... :'( ah, well, time to start again! And I am still learning as we never had a greenhouse before last year!  :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: counting the losses
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 06:09:38 pm »
I don't have a greenhouse but I've lost an awful lot of my pot plants on the new gravel garden my son and I made last year.  Wondering if they'd fare better dug into the ground, so think I'll tackle one or two of the surviving ones tomorrow.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 06:30:29 pm »
i have lots of pots and stuff in the ground and i believe i know what im doing and im in the midlands and still i have lost a lot of stuff this year

like ALL my french lavenders!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »
French lavenders are very tender.  After one year of losing them all I don't even try any more.  I think things in pots will suffer more in a cold year as their roots are more exposed out of the soil, with only a thin pot to protect them. Also it's difficult to get waterinmg right in winter.
 Even in my greenhouse-inside-my-polytunnel lots of things have been lost this year.  The great thing about gardening is that come Spring you can just start all over again  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »
the lavenders are all 2 years old i know there soft they survived last winters snow but this year we had -10C for 2 weeks and thats not happened here in my lifetime before!!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »
Hi Bloomer - that's positively balmy  ;D  We get -18 most years and that's not nearly as cold as further north.  So that is why you can give French Lavender a go but it's never going to be worth it for me.  They are lovely though.  In fact I love all lavender, growing plants, essence, furniture polish, anything, unless they have added something to it which I think may be vanilla which destroys the lovely smell for me  :(
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 09:55:48 pm »
Does anyone know if I can grow Choiysia in Central Scotland?  I visited a friend near Peterborough at the weekend and their 'sundance' one is beautiful - such a lovely yellow leaf, and evergreen too.  I'm just not sure if it's hardy enough.  They did have severe frosts over the winter too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »
no idea

mine happily survived this last winter but our winter whilst bad for us was nothing like yours!!!

probably do ok in a sheltered corner

i use them a lot in garden builds here for there winter appearance.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »
I planted a climber at my last house that had the same effect of looking like the sun was shining when you looked out the window, and it was fine in all weathers, but I can't remember what it was called. After building was complete I had run out of money when it came to landscaping so I bought loads of stuff from Morrisons (still got the VAT back too) and they all took off like mad; and they're still all doing well 3 years later according to my friends who bought my house.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
Just had a thought - I think it was maybe humulus (the golden hop) - I kept thinking of mimulus but knew that wasn't right. ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »
yes, we had a lovely hops and I think it came back for quite a few years, no sign of it just yet... :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 10:09:10 am »
You can actually use the hops to make real beer too!  Haven't tried it myself mind. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS