Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Erm, Worms!  (Read 2218 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Erm, Worms!
« on: January 29, 2011, 08:55:09 am »
Erm, I've just bought worms online for my compost bins and new veggie plot. Has anyone out there bred worms and if so how do you do it? Seems a bit mental to be buying them!  :farmer:

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: Erm, Worms!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:02:41 am »
They just arrive naturally normally. I've never bought any myself and have thousands. You could have got some from a fishing shop they are sold as 'brandlings'

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:17:29 pm »
my grandad got some he feeds his fish. he got them in the dark plastic tool shed thing in wooden box and feeds them porridge every  2 weeks feeds his fish in the pond and he recamends them

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:35:06 am »
The worms in the compost heap are different to the ones in the open garden, so if it's brandlings you have (darkish and vaguely stripey) keep them in the compost bin or wormery, not the garden.  Garden worms, of which there are lots of varieties, tend to be bigger and they are the ones that make long holes which help aerate the soil and down which they drag decaying vegetation.  If you add lots of organic matter to your soil you will find that your naturally arriving worm numbers will increase.
We used to have allotments in Edinburgh where the New Zealand flatworm had been accidentally introduced.  It was a terrible pest and eventually it got to the point where seeing any normal worms was an extreme rarity.  The NZ flatworms would hunt the bigger worms, chasing them down their holes, wrapping their bodies around them and sucking out their juice.  Some research was underway at the Uni and they found that certain beetles predated the flatworms, so there was some hope that eventually a status quo would be reached.  When we moved here we didn't bring anything from the allotments with us in case any flatworms hitched a ride, then we discovered that they are already in our nearest village  :o  I am hoping they don't make it up the hill, as we have a wonderful population of compost and earthworms here.  Without them, if you dig manure or compost into the soil then look again the following year, it is exactly the same and has not broken down or been incorporated at all - weird !!
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS