Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pensions  (Read 9040 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: Pensions
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
Is the access to the house across the land you own?
Looking at the site plan I'd say yes, although I'm sure I remember there being a right of access along the short track that leads down the side to it.

I do get a little annoyed with politicians and other people on the telly when they refer to citizens and democracy, because that's one thing we really aren't. We're subjects of the Crown which makes us little more than property, in the eyes of the ruling classes. I'm sure given the option they'd euthanise us all when we'd exhausted our usefulness to them.

Sooner or later the price of fuel is going to mean those of us in the very rural areas are going to be effectively isolated from the urban areas.

Already it costs us half a tank of petrol to go to the supermarket and back (190 mile round trip to Inverness, or 120 if we go to the little one in Ullapool). That's about £35 before you even begin to factor-in wear and tear on tyres and such-like.

At least being where we are we'll probably avoid the really nasty stuff when a revolution comes along.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 11:41:22 am »
Oh yes ambriel thanks for reminding me, I will also have 2 frozen company pensions to look forward to - a civil service one kicks in when I am 60 - something like £2k a year I think which might not buy me a cup of coffee by then ;) and the university USS one I have no idea because they keep changing the terms even after I've left so while I should have it at 65 I am not sure it will be there and not in debt as a fund by then - let alone whether I'll ever get it by surviving that long ::)

I reckon the equity in my house and land is my only security - have to sell this one but should be able to buy something smaller - cottage with an acre or two or plenty of land and a caravan depending on my circs ;) and live off the rest..  Oh no, I forget, they'll probably want capital gains tax if I do that ::)

Do we have any financial advisers for self employed folk on here? ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Sandy

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 11:52:40 am »
I hope to be able to run this B&B in my retirement as its not too hard going and keeps the bills paid, otherwise, sell up and downsize, all we need is a little house with a nice view and open fire!!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 01:26:41 pm »
and some hens and ducks   ;D :&>

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2011, 02:24:58 pm »
Trying to make contact with the HM Taxes to sort out my pension.  Despite 2 letters no response, so wondered does anyone have a contact EMAIL address for them.  Any department would do. 

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2011, 02:39:17 pm »
I have at least another 32 years of work before I can think about retirement, and by then the retirement age will no doubt be abolished altogether and I will have to work till I keel over. 

And I have been working on the assumption for years that I wont get a state pension because there just wont be any money left by the time I retire, so I need to think private pensions and investments.

However, as it looks like I am about to be redundant, what I really need to be thinking about now is how to develop my very own strain of money trees and start an orchard growing £50 notes.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2011, 05:06:30 pm »
Trying to make contact with the HM Taxes to sort out my pension.  Despite 2 letters no response, so wondered does anyone have a contact EMAIL address for them.  Any department would do. 
You need to ask for a quotation - you can do it online these days, (but not if living outside the UK, sorry) but remember any time spent at home looking after children or caring for sick relatives counts towards your entitlement in pensionable years. Do a yahoo search for this 'uk state pension forecast' and you'll get lots of sites with advice on them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

deepinthewoods

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2011, 05:21:20 pm »
will money tree cuttings be available? put me down for a dozen. grow for victory, we could feed this country, and i personally will be charging politicians £1000/ lb for chantenays!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2011, 07:01:54 pm »
Thanks for that will try.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS