Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Firewood  (Read 16412 times)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
Re: Firewood
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14:55 pm »
Agreed garden cottage... Wouldn't bother with Elder, everyone says it's crap for firewood..

Alder, on the other hand gets good ratings on a google search, despite some saying it's so so!

Fortunately it's Alder I've been chopping not Elder!

;-)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
I recently bought in two cubic metres of birch for my firewalking, tho it isn't really long enough and needs seasoning I thought better to have something brewing than nothing and I can always use it on the open fire ::)

A month later I have a crab apple felled and chopped on the drive and masses of what I thought was a leylandi but turns out to be suspected Douglas Fir - I have stacks where the first part fell in a gale and a stack I made yesterday after a friend came with a chainsaw and felled the rest which was great peace of mind as the first branches started shearing back in December in the ice and it's been gradual since then ::)

I also have about 4 mounds of branches to burn through outdoors but not much space to get a fire in at the mo - thinking that through as I might get more kindling with the lopper on the branches he's left whole.

What I could really do with is a commercial grade shredder to mulch it but my neighbours one you'd have to use scissors to cut a leaf before putting it through ;) so I'm thinking bonfire time - great by me as I love burning things :)

Still the main trunk to be chopped up next week but a huge difference to not worry about it falling on the house and I've now several tonnes of wood for next winter - if I'm here  ???
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2011, 03:00:15 pm »
lucky you.

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 07:35:42 am »
Here's the poem I have by Celia Congreve:

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,

Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
Keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
A king shall warm his slippers by.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear.......I fell a poplar tree and started splitting it for fire wood....(I say started but its a tough nut to split the trunk)
it does burn hot but boy oh boy does it smoke lol....what about ackasia ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS