Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewes Bickering  (Read 2291 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Ewes Bickering
« on: February 20, 2011, 02:08:47 pm »
Some of my ewes are in lamb, others not. They are all together in the field. Good grass for time of year. No males.

I've noticed that they seem to be bickering - running along, pushing each other, headbutting, sometimes pushing and putting front feet up on others backs (usually from the side). By the time I get there they've spotted me and stopped to come to me, so I can't see exactly which are doing what.

It's something they do on and off, fine with each other 90% of the time.

Can anyone throw any light on this behaviour?

:sheep:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Ewes Bickering
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 03:23:52 pm »
Hi OhLaLa - it's just what they do  :sheep:.  It can be a bit scary when you know they are in lamb and could be damaging eachothers lambs when they butt or hornswipe from the side.  When I spot any of mine up to those tricks I shout out their names and clap hands plus make the tsheesh tsheesh noise which tells them they are bad.  They stop and look very sheepish - well, they would wouldn't they  ;D ;D :sheep: :sheep:  I think they are just sorting out the pecking order prior to lambing - because where they are in that will govern their lambs places too ie what status they have. Also they are probably a bit tetchy and bored the heavier they get.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 05:41:31 pm »
All is well then. Thank you so much for the reply.

:sheep:  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:11 pm »
Juno and Jura were going at it hammer and tongs today - really headbutting each other. Then they were fine. I suppose it was just a spat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS