Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting excited now!!  (Read 7248 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Getting excited now!!
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 05:17:56 pm »
Congratulations on the 2  :pig: :pig:  :D
When we went to pick up our new weaners I saw Kune Kune's up close for the 1st time - they do look very cute  ;D I didn't realise how much hairy-er (?) they are on the face compared to other pigs.
Enjoy - we are loving our new girls  ;D ;D
Tish

HappyHippy

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:45:25 pm »
A lot of people write off Kune Kune's as 'pets' - way to cute, couldn't possibly eat that and oh my - expensive bacon  :-\
Can I put forward a case FOR keeping Kunes for meat (okay, so I know I'm biased, since I have them - but hear me out  ;))
1) They don't tend to root up the land as much as a 'standard' pig.

2) They do not require the same amount of feed as 'standard' pigs.
In fact standard pig feed has too high a protien level and is inclined to make then run to fat. I feed mine on wheat feed pellets (which are cheaper than pig nuts) at half the amount for 'standard' pigs (ie. half a pound for each month of age) only when there is no grass or supply of fruit and veg. They will grow well on good grass and a suppliment of fruit and veg during most of the year.

3) They can be housed in a smaller area and with a smaller house than 'standard' pigs (meaning you can fit more in  ;) ;D)

4) They're REALLY hardy ! My adults have been out ALL winter and up here in Scotland there's been a few -20 C nights and deep snow - they cope brilliantly with it, being so hairy.

The meat is wonderfull - full of flavour and well worth sampling. So although it's a slightly higher outlay and they take longer to reach slaughter size (10 months onwards) there are big savings to be made in terms of feeding and butchering charges - I've not worked out exactly how the numbers stack up - but I'm sure they won't work out any more expensive than 'standard' pigs.

So c'mon guys, give the little guys good consideration when buying your next weaners !
(Just as a matter of coincidence, I've got a litter due soon ;) ::) ;D :love: :pig:)
Karen

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 06:55:25 pm »
I have to say I surprised myself at how easily they were caught & picked up. they were very well behaved (the piglets, as well as Roxy and her husband! ;) )  and it went very smoothly.
  kunes are definitely my choice of pig, such lovley natured little (!) things & really laid back. 

Roxy, they'll be sitting on your knee before you know it! its fine when they're small, but Mildred still creeps up for a cuddle when I'm in with them (and least expect it!)

they need names now ...  ::D
Little Blue

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:26:25 pm »
When I got to the field this morning, not a sound from the pig pen ......eek, I was worried, had they escaped, or died of shock at travelling?  (yes, that thought did flash through my mind!)  Peered oiver the gate, and snuggled up in the hay, fast asleep, side by side they were.  Oh, their little faces .......
They even slept through the racket when the llama escaped into the lane, and I gave chase yelling and shouting!!

Piglets woke up when they heard me next door with the goats buckets.  Ate breakfast, had a shuffle round and spent the afternoon fast asleep until tea .....
They soon cottened on who I was (food supplier!) and at tea time had worked out I came through the gate, and were standing there waiting.  The spotted piglet even let me stroke her.

No names yet, but I prefer the old fashioned names......

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 08:08:23 am »
When Hilary arrived we established her and her neutered brother into an ark.  Eventually left them to sleep.  In the morning went to feed them.  They had gone.  Searched the holding, searched neighbouring fields, searched the village (calling pig pig pig and banging a bucket - think that was when village finally decided we were mad English) returned home mentally battered, totally distraught.  To find our builder making a fuss of our two pigs who had spent a very comforable night in the centre of the large pampas grass. 

Pigs are just wonderful

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »
Seeeeee!! Memoirs, please!!  :love: :pig: :love:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 09:25:22 pm »
they all know the sound of a bucket!

Eve ... if you can't wait for Roxy to unpack the camera leads from storage ( ;) ) then there's photos of the piglets on the first page.
you may have gathered by now, they were bred by me my pigs!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 09:27:16 pm by little blue »
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS