Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Area to perimiter conversion for fencing  (Read 4709 times)

McRoxy

Area to perimiter conversion for fencing
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:13:09 am »
I am as you can see a newbie to smallholding and not being great at maths would like to know how I convert a known area of land into a perimeter so that I can replace the fencing. The land is 2.25 acres; about 0.9 of a hectare.

From calculations I have seen on the internet and my on crude assumptions I believe that I should be looking at a figure of 400metres. |Can anyone tell me if I am anywhere near the correct figure?
:hshoe:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: Area to perimiter conversion for fencing
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:17:56 am »
i have no idea at all, i would just count the original fence posts, and cheat, but anyway hi and welcome from sunny moray  :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 09:10:51 am »
me personally would just pace the perimeter as a rough guesstimate or if you want it precise get a long tape and a note pad  or like said in faith0504 count the posts as only you know how big your land is  and computer can only guess by what you input into it

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:04 am »
Hi McRoxy,
              You are not to far off there, a Hectare is the equivilent of a 100m x 100m square, therefor a perimeter of 400m, so .9 of a hectare is close, provided none of the perimeter zig zags  ;D
'And the crowd called out for more'

McRoxy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 04:10:16 pm »
Thank you all for your help. The counting the posts technique is a smart way to do it. I'll let you know how it goes when we attack the replacing of the fencing. It may be a wee while before you hear about the results. :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 08:01:17 pm »
the other way of doing it (approximate) is this government site. All that spying on us for once has its uses.

If you select GB and put in your postcode your field/s will appear once you have honed down and you can then use click points to caculate both area and perimeter distance.

Maybe of more use to those with larger areas/multiple fields but its handy if some areas are hard to walk round/through!

http://www.magic.gov.uk/website/magic/

waterhouse

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »
The shape of the land matters a lot.  As stated a hectare is 100m by 100m = 10000sqm but it is also 10m by 1000m. The first example would indeed give a 400m perimeter but the second would be over 2km, five times bigger. I'd walk it both ways round unless the fence posts are a lot more regular than mine.

Susie

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 07:56:29 am »
 :wave:  Lachlanandmarcus - loving the magic map. Thanks, just saved me a huge amount of time.

wonderpupp

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:12 am »
We just used a tape measure and ran around the edge.

Muc

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Co Clare, Ireland
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 02:52:33 pm »
Google Earth will do it for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS