Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recyling your jumpers!  (Read 4830 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Recyling your jumpers!
« on: December 13, 2008, 03:26:41 pm »
A friend gave me a good tip today. 

If you have vunerable piglets, lambs as well I guess, then cut off the sleeve from your jumper or fleece -cut two holes for front legs and cut to the length of the back.

I suppose a whole one could work for larger animals as well - say a calf?

It is an extra layer to keep them warm anyway.

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Recyling your jumpers!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 04:15:34 pm »
Wouldnt other piglets chew it off? 

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 05:35:10 pm »
That makes me remember my granny (who sadly is no longer here)
Many years ago she had a billy goat who was seen out in his paddock sporting a rather attractive cardigan ! Much to the amusement of all the local farmers.
I still can't decide what was funnier - the sight of a fully grown billy wearing an old ladies cardy, or the sight of her actually putting it on him !
Ah, the things we do for our animals !
Karen  :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 06:46:42 pm »
 :goat:  Ok I have to ask  Why was the Billy Goat wearing a cardigan?

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:21:31 pm »
So he had somewhere to keep his pipe and tobacco of course..... sheesh!    ;D
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:58 pm »
Or maybe some of his other equipment ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 12:06:47 am »
Lol

We have done the cutting sleeves off for new born goat kids before. Also often use the main body part to make a coat/rug for a bigger kid. Cut the sleeves off, sew up the gaps, and add elastic for loops for the legs or ties instead- and bingo you have a rug for a big lamb, big kid, a calf, a dog even in an emergency.

Beth

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 07:32:36 am »
obviously its when billy goat goes trip trapping across the bridge, the nasty troll tears of the cardy and billy goat escapes ;D ;D ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 07:57:12 am »
 ;D   still laughing ..... :goat:

HappyHippy

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 10:09:56 am »
My gran was a bit eccentric - I have to admit it !
The goat was suffering from laminitis and she felt sorry for him. She definately had more time for animals than humans and the goat was just one example.
Another time my dad's friend brought us a couple of his prize racehorses to free up space at his yard - she'd be out everyday feeding them up with loaves of bread cos they were too thin ! Needless to say it was a wee while before they were winning any races !
Although she was a beef farmers wife all her meat came from the shops - she couldn't bear the thought of eating Daisy or any of her troop (every single one of the 150 cows they had had names) Oh and she had pigs, but only the once mind - all the piglets ended up in the house because she thought they sounded like babies crying.
So that goes some way towards explaining the goat in the cardy and my gene pool lol!
Roll on old age so I can get away with this kind of stuff too !
Karen  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 12:13:27 pm »
Roll on old age so I can get away with this kind of stuff too !
Wonder if I am old enough for that - Hmmm, but I've been like that all my life so perhaps not..............................  Have I been 'getting away with it'?  I think so - my fave saying when anyone invites me to tea and asks if there is anything I don't like is - 'I eat anything except my own animals.'  I went out to towel dry my ex batts last night as they had forgotten the way home and were standing in the rain beside the run. :D  Then they got an extra (warm) meal and another layer of straw before bedding them down for the night.  they are all fine this morning.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS