Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockerel and dominant hen..  (Read 2927 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Cockerel and dominant hen..
« on: February 13, 2011, 07:58:37 am »
Our cockerel has literally just found his voice and started following his natural urges  ;)  one of the older black rocks however seems to also think she is a boy. I had to intervene yesterday and put her in the broody pen so they could see each other and not cause harm. Still covered in gentian violet from spraying torn combs and wattles. am hoping the hen will lower down the pecking order if she is the one removed and will accept his dominance, therefore all will live peacefully? Does this sound like the best course of action?
Uptill now they all lived happilly but its literally this morning that coco has crowed... 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hardfeather

Re: Cockerel and dominant hen..
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 10:20:21 am »
Intervention only prolongs the agony. I have hens which are very fiesty and will take almost anything on. Some of them have taken on cocks and given a good account of themselves...but only for a short while. They have to be allowed to sort it out, otherwise nothing is resolved.

The fact that your cockerel is young may complicate matters. If the hen bests him, he will be cowed and may take a long time to regain his confidence. Keeping him on his own for a few weeks, in sight of the others, will allow him to mature and, when he is reintroduced to the flock, he should be able to exert his dominance.

The trouble is, the hens know exactly what he is and, if they see him as an immature lout, they will treat him as such. In a few weeks they will see him as something completely different. His confidence will have grown, and he will be able to stand up for himself better. It's all about timing when introducing young males to older hens.

crosser

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 11:06:54 am »
i have the same problem...  i have 4 hens and have just been given 3 bantam hens and cockeral..  one of the big hens just keeps on jumping and aggravating the poor bantam cockeral...   can anyone offer any advice on what to do ?  because the hen is alot bigger than the cock does this mean she will rule the roost?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:16 pm »
Thanks Aengusog - before I read your reply I'd decided to let them work it out for themselves and am pleased to say things are much calmer. am glad to come back in and see that you felt it a good course of action too.
the black rock hen did march straight up to the cockerel this morning but he literally ran at her and she backed off today! since then, she's kept a respectful distance and the rest of 'his girls' are all crowding round him and being most respectful. Probably won't be plain sailing from hereonin but its still a start  :)

Hopefully someone will have some words of wisdom for you too crosser - I'm no expert when it comes to cockerels but I have heard of some feisty little bantoms so hopefully your little fella will hold his own too x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 04:27:32 pm »
:D
I remember Gladys our dominant hen hanging onto Lenin the cockerel's tail feathers, when he tried to run away he dragged her along behind him!
she kind of stayed in charge... he had his wicked way with the other girls when Gladys wasn't looking!
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
:D
I remember Gladys our dominant hen hanging onto Lenin the cockerel's tail feathers, when he tried to run away he dragged her along behind him!
she kind of stayed in charge... he had his wicked way with the other girls when Gladys wasn't looking!
Conjures up quite an image!! cockerel being dragged by the hen  ;D  made me smile that did lol. Right up until shutting up time there was peace in the chicken run (phew!) am loving this cockerel though, he's such a gentleman and really looks out for his ladies.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS