Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New Member Requiring Some Lamb/Sheep Info !!!  (Read 4697 times)

BlueMonsoon

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Norfolk
New Member Requiring Some Lamb/Sheep Info !!!
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:15:44 pm »
Hello, I am new to the forum and have some sheep questions, so I hope you don’t me asking them at the same time.
We have a small holding and would like to take keep a few lambs this spring and found a supplier on a nearby farm. We will be raising them for the freezer only.
I have received the info pack that is sent out by Animal Health and at first glance it doesn’t make a lot of sense as yet.
So any advice you can offer on the best way to make sense of it all and how to proceed, would be gratefully received.

Brian

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: New Member Requiring Some Lamb/Sheep Info !!!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 02:18:07 pm »
hi and welcome from moray  :wave:

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »
Hi and welcome from kent :wave:

Thats very normal with animal health  ;D

Maybe you could start with a question ? there are so many in this subject matter
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

BlueMonsoon

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 03:59:25 pm »
My partner and daughter wants to take on some orphan lambs and raise them. We have never kept sheep before.
I have a field ready and fenced with a field shelter, feeders, milk feed all at the ready. I was told by Animal Health that I don’t need to register for a sheep herd mark until we have them.
So, then I assume we need to tag them, how soon, or what age and what sort of tags and what info needs to go on the tags. As I mentioned before, they are for the freezer, so it looks like we will keep them under the year.
Next question, will they need vaccinations, worming, etc, if so what age and is it a vet only process?

Many Thanks.
Brian

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 05:16:19 pm »
Hello from Suffolk!

I'm a newbie myself so my answers are a bit vague

I though they should be tagged within 6 weeks but then I read another online document that said 6 months, so I can't answer that one with certainty.

If you're keeping them less than a year, then they can be single tagged; if you want to keep them longer they need a 2nd EID  (electronic id) tag. You can get them from various suppliers; I got mine from Ketchums http://www.ketchums.co.uk/ who supplied the tool for free.

I do wonder if the farmer should tag the lambs before they leave his holding? Need to await the experts for that one too.

I think you'll need a holding (CPH) number, and a flock no. - you will need your flock no. to get your tags. I got mine before getting sheep, but then I got adult (tagged) sheep.

As for vaccs - talk to your local vet - they should be able to advise on what's needed in your area. My vet showed me how to do the jabs so for subsequent jabs I didn't need to get the vet to do them (much cheaper  :) ).

mab

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »
Yup thats correct a flock number and a holding number (CPH) is required and if your buying in your lambs they will already be tagged as they need to be tagged from the birth holding and I think I would be right in saying that they should be double tagged because altho you will only send them to the abattoir, the farm your buying from would have had to double tag to sell to you as your not an abattoir, If im incorrect others will correct im sure

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »
they should be tagged before you get them. you do need your holding number or the paperwork can't be done. you may as well do both at the same time. it maybe easier to get an older couple of ewes and lamb them and have both for meat at the end of it.

Jonny

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:00:28 pm »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I have found the best way to prepare for new animals is to make sure you have everything you need before you get them. This includes knowing how many you want, where they will be kept and getting the feed. If you are prepared then keeping animals should be far more enjoyable.

Hope you found this useful :)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 06:09:33 pm »
Read a good book, preferably a recently published one as the legislation relating to livestock keeping will still be pretty up to date - that will give you a good idea before you actually get sheep.

Recommend The Sheep Book for Smallholders by Tim Tyne. Availible on Amazon or from the publishers, Good Life Press
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 01:28:56 am »
A word of caution - cute though they are, orphan lambs have not had the best start in life and we have seen this year in stories from a number of keepers that they can suffer from expensive mystery illnesses and die after a few weeks/months. As you haven't bought them yet, perhaps you should consider buying in-lamb ewes, or better still ewes with lambs at foot in April (so you don't have to oversee the lambing).  That way the lambs have their dams to feed them and provide them with the nutrition they need, especially colostrum in the first important hours. Then next year you can lamb those ewes yourselves.

As others have said, any sheep/lambs you buy must have been tagged on the farm of birth, so you will only need to buy tags when you have lambs born on your holding. When that time comes, the tag manufacturer will tell you what info you need on the tags.  As well as your flockmark, you will be allocated individual numbers and these will be recorded so if you buy tags from another manufacturer the next year you will not accidentally duplicate your individual numbers.

Vaccinations and worming programmes are dependant on the conditions on your holding, the breed of sheep you are keeping and what has been on the land before.  It is always a good idea to discuss this with your vet  (you are supposed to have a health plan for your livestock) but doing the actual dosing is usually a job the owner does (vets cost money and you could easily end up with the most expensive leg of lamb ever  ;D )

Buying a good book on the subjest is a good idea, so you know about your animals' needs before they arrive and don't make any unnecessary mistakes
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 11:50:41 am »
Can I make a plea at this point for any one new to sheep to do the following as it will save money, time and heartache....
1.Go and visit some farms and get some experience...its not that difficult to get some hands on...
2. Read and read and read...and get a good book!
3.Fence and prepare BEFORE getting any stock.
4.Remember that whilst many of us are very experienced and will help give an answer here and elsewhere when we can, our time is valuable and we lead busy lives so spending an hour or more helping give out advice for free is not to be taken for granted....!

I often hold back and don't say it but I think, and I know from experience that many animals,sheep especially suffer from those who buy on an impulse with little knowledge and muddle through.....Sheep are difficult in comparisom with for eg pigs...please please do your homework first.... :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

BlueMonsoon

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 02:13:53 pm »
Thank you for all your replies and all will be taken onboard. I think a change of plans might be in order.

Thanks very much.
Brian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS