Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Intestinal worms  (Read 3119 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
Intestinal worms
« on: February 03, 2011, 11:01:38 am »
Just wondering if anyone has any tips for keeping worms at bay as a precautionary measure?!?!
I do know about Verm-x but I thought there may be some particular foods to give them to help in the fight against worms!! 
I am not sure whether I have heard something about natural yoghurt?  Or vinegar in their water?  Or am I just making these up?!?!?
Many thanks for any words of wisdom.  ;)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Intestinal worms
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:34 am »
Garlic is an old remedy. But be prepared for garlic eggs if you feed too much.

:chook:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:35 am »
Elder is a know plant for dealing with worms so is dandelion

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 12:55:53 pm »
Hi All,
          I have been putting a small amount of garlic powder mixed into their corn treat daily, it is a bit of trial and error no garlic eggs yet. I get it from agri supplier, think it is for horses. No sign of any worms and they still scoff it down
Hope this helps  :D :chook:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:08 pm »
Elder is a know plant for dealing with worms so is dandelion

Elder  - or Ground Elder??  :&>

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »
There was an article in a trade magazine I read at work about verm-x. Basically they said that a trial had been conducted and that the birds treated with verm-x came out of it with the same results as birds which had no treatment at all. The article was opposite a full page advert for flubenvet mind you so make your own mind up.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 06:28:39 pm »
A bit of apple cider vinegar in the water - but don't buy the stuff in the supermarket, buy the stuff from the agri merchant for horses.
Oh and don't do this if you use galvanised drinkers ;)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:11:07 pm »
Hi,

I bought some Diatom powder that is a bit of a cure all ( well ...kill all actually! ) Its harmless to the birds but kills red mite, lice and aparently if ingested it kills worms. I use it in the coop, on the birds and put it in the garden in the dust baths that the birds create but you can sprinkle it on their pellets as well. I do use Flubenvet but find getting the dosage right for half a dozen bantams pretty tricky. Also I'm never sure that everyone gets their fair share and administering it for seven consecutive days is also difficult unless I dont let my birds free range.

The only time Ive seen them pass a worm is after vermex but again, if I let my girls range they will find other water sources rather than drink the vermex treated water.

Little monkeys!

Buffy

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:26 pm »
i use the Verm-X(i think) pellets, half a scoop per bird for three days. What I personally do as mine are greedy buggers and others hog the feed, if take each hen separately, and hand feed her/him. time consuming i know but at least i know everyone gets the correct dosage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS