Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do caterpillars eat?  (Read 15046 times)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: When do caterpillars eat?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 09:05:05 pm »
If 'caterpillocks' are the problem, there's only one organic solution - thorough hunt and pick 'em off by hand. Early in season to be having to do this but then again, lucky you for being warmer than the rest of us. Feed the b*******s to your chooks!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 01:17:50 am »
Just read that garlic juice deters 'em. Any experiences out there?

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

blonde

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 11:02:37 pm »
Got some veggies in the greenhouse that seem to be being mulla'h by caterpillocks....... I've tried to catch them in the act so that the chooks can have a meal but they are never around. Been out all times of day and night but with no success.
Any advice?

Cheers,

Ian
Have you seen white butterflies around, these lays eggs and hatch in to caterpillars  who in turn eat  your vegies.    A natural spray is a good idea.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 06:01:48 pm »
No, I haven't seen any butterflies around. The plant that was being eaten has recovered really well since I killed the fat catty that I found tho'.  ;)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 02:45:36 am »
aphids, caterpillars and other insects. 

Add 2 tablespoons of soap flakes to one litre of water and stir thoroughly until completely dissoved ( quicker in warm water) There is no need to dilute this further, just spray it on as is.

As a deterrent:

Mix a cup of molasses into one litre of water and spray it over new foliage.

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 06:22:29 pm »
aphids, caterpillars and other insects. 

Add 2 tablespoons of soap flakes to one litre of water and stir thoroughly until completely dissoved ( quicker in warm water) There is no need to dilute this further, just spray it on as is.

As a deterrent:

Mix a cup of molasses into one litre of water and spray it over new foliage.

Thank you  :)

Ian

glideher

• Joined Mar 2018
  • DLG Gliders
    • DLG RC Gliders
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2018, 06:37:05 pm »
i was looking for the same answer, we have a garden and have spotted this pretty one at random times when it was smaller, now trying to find it again after 3 weeks, i keep seeing chunks of leaves nibbled on but cant seem to find the cater,,do they come out when its cold or warm? i suspect too much direct sun is not good for their skin?
here is a picture i took couple weeks ago, i guess im just trying to find him/her again to see its grown size :)
thanks for any help

glideher

• Joined Mar 2018
  • DLG Gliders
    • DLG RC Gliders
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2018, 06:38:28 pm »
i should prob add, if any one knows what kind of caterpillar this is,,thanks

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 08:53:39 pm »
It's a big surprise to may folks that quite a few  eggs can over winter and become caterpillars once the days start to lengthen and temps get above freezing . You wont get many but you usually get some hiding away on overwintering greens .

Same with heading greens like sprouts & cabbages but here deep inside the leaf ball you often get a living caterpillar  from a a late laying cabbage white butterfly  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS