Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: RWAS Smallholder and Garden Traditional Rare & Native Cattle Breeds competition  (Read 12639 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Isn't the paperwork a bind?

Mind you, I read a story this week that some dairy farmers are taking the tags off high yielding cows that test positive for TB and putting them on low yielders to send for slaughter. Surely that can't be good, if it is true.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
  The way that they have organised the showing classes at the smallholder show is very unfair with mixed classes.  They have said they will consider putting on individual breed classes if there are enough entrants but as I understand it, there will be no prize money at this stage

It is not unfair to put mixed breed classes on - it is the first year and they will want to play things by ear. The fact that they have offered to put on breed classes if entries are sufficient shows willing in my book. If enough Dexters had entered, they would have been given their own classes.

You obviously haven't read the schedule very carefully - £30 first prize, £20 second, £10 third. Champion, £150, Reserve Champion £75.

The rule about animals on Society stands not being allowed in the show is fairly standard - it applies to the sheep as well.

I think its really good that there will be cattle classes at this show - lets have a bit more positivity please.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
  The way that they have organised the showing classes at the smallholder show is very unfair with mixed classes.  They have said they will consider putting on individual breed classes if there are enough entrants but as I understand it, there will be no prize money at this stage

It is not unfair to put mixed breed classes on - it is the first year and they will want to play things by ear. The fact that they have offered to put on breed classes if entries are sufficient shows willing in my book. If enough Dexters had entered, they would have been given their own classes.

You obviously haven't read the schedule very carefully - £30 first prize, £20 second, £10 third. Champion, £150, Reserve Champion £75.

The rule about animals on Society stands not being allowed in the show is fairly standard - it applies to the sheep as well.

I think its really good that there will be cattle classes at this show - lets have a bit more positivity please.

I have read it very carefully it says very clearly that it is at their discretion and if separate classes are held then an overall sections winner might be held with no prize money given at this stage.  It is a lot of work preparing cattle for the showring not to mention expense and I would not enter a mixed class under any circumstances.  There is no way of knowing whether there will be enough entries to form a separate class beforehand and too late once you have paid your entry fee.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
I hope enough people turn up that it runs again next year with a bigger entry - I hope folk take a chance and invest for the future.

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
I have been lobbying the RWAS for some time to put on classes for cattle but they have refused up till now on the grounds that they don't want the smallholder to be the same as the summer show.  Please forgive my apparent lack of enthusiasm for the RWAS there has been quite a lot of bad feeling regarding how the breed stands competitions have been organised and judged.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
We just love them all - we'd give them all a prize!

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
they don't want the smallholder to be the same as the summer show. 

Nor should it be. This show has its own distinctive flavour and so long as they keep MV sheep out and concentrate on Native/Traditional breed cattle, it will retain its individuality.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

jacquip

• Joined Apr 2011
We just love them all - we'd give them all a prize!
To be honest Rosemary, I wish they wouldn't bother judging them at all.  They are really there to inform people about the breed and to answer anyquestions they might have.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS