Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly Cockeral and Psycho starlings  (Read 2161 times)

DinkyDill

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Llandysul, Carmarthenshire
Poorly Cockeral and Psycho starlings
« on: November 29, 2010, 01:28:33 pm »
Ok, this is a 2 part question. 
1. Our light sussex cockeral is unwell.  He has watery discharge, like tears, coming from his eyes.  He's been a bit slow today, in coming out of the hut and wandering round, and he's not too fussed about eating.  He has no diarrhea, feather loss or swellings anywhere.  He was fine yesterday.  Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong with him.
2. How can we keep the psycho starlings out of the chicken house/feeder?  Their eating more than the chickens and it's costing us a fortune.  We've got CD's hanging up round the chuck shed to frighten them off but they take no notice.  Does anyone have any ideas about keeping them away? 

Thanks.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Poorly Cockeral and Psycho starlings
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 01:48:47 pm »
My first thought is he could have eaten something he shouldn't (you don't have poison down for mice? He would eat a mouse if you or your neighbours have put something down to poison them). Or he has a cold type virus. Separate him, try to tempt him with something soft and tasty, make sure he has access to water.

The cd trick has never worked for me in the veggie patch. Only thing you can do is invest in a feeder that you open and close at mealtimes, or feed into usual feeders twice a day then walk away. The chickens usually eat the majority of the feed and the wild birds will pick up what they can find. If you leave feed out ad-lib, the wild birds will help themselves throughout the whole day. If your henhouse is big enough, feed inside with the pophole still closed and only open once they have eaten, that way they will eat all they want - do the same in reverse in the evening, 'putting them to bed with their supper'.

I remember once I had an ad-lib feeder in the henhouse, the wild birds would form long queues at the pop-hole. I've never seen so many birds in my garden as I did back then. Bless. Of course, I had to start the twice a day routine instead, but all was fine. They all got a share and my chickens still ate well.

I don't mind feeding the wild birds, in fact, at this time of year I put out a little extra each day just for them.

DinkyDill

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:09:19 pm »
I don't think he could have eaten anything poisonous, we don't put poison down coz chickens being chickens, they'll eat anything.  We've seperated him from the rest and we'll see how he goes.

Thanks

nessjw

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 10:07:48 pm »
Hi, my l,sussex hen was like this, turned out to be a cold...l dosed with baytril...back to normal in a day...l keep a reserve of baytril..as you know chickens
go down so quick..was told..citricidal added to water is a gud boost for snuffles/colds etc..l have brought it..and l'm using it in this cold snap..along with garlic powder and poultry spice...hope he's ok

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 10:01:26 am »
dinkydill - how is the cockerel?

DinkyDill

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 12:42:31 pm »
Sory I haven't replied for so long.  We had to put the cockeral down in the end.  Still not sure what was wrong with him but not of the hens seem to have it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS