Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Urban Pigs  (Read 5960 times)

s_paradice

• Joined Nov 2008
Urban Pigs
« on: November 11, 2008, 03:38:43 pm »
I live in a terraced house with a small, walled backgarden (5m x 20m or so) and Ive been thinking about getting a couple of pigs to raise for slaughter (or possibly just as pets if my gf gets too attached) I'm not worried about using it as a garden during their stay, in fact I'm hoping they'll do a good job of clearing it for me  :)

Would this plot be too small for the pigs? I wouldn't want to do it if it would be cruel, it would defeat the purpose of raising my own pigs.

Would there be any noise/smell issues for us/the neighbours?

Are there any breeds better suited to these type of conditions?

I plan on doing all the relevant research before committing to any hard decisions, Id just like to get some feedback as to whether this would be a positive thing or not beforehand.

Cheers.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Re: Urban Pigs
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 05:08:35 pm »
Hi, I would get a few hen, Pigs and neighbours so close do not get on. You may get smell and noise issues however I dont know what your neighbours a like. We keep pigs on our farm and I am sure glad we do not have anyone right next door. Your neighbours might like it so run it by them and see?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 08:05:28 pm »
Hi. I'd agree with Wildman. The area's a bit small and they do smell and can be REALLY noisy especially at feeding time. Poultry might be a better idea.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 08:07:50 pm »
Well................
If you have a good block shed with concrete yard and let them out onto the grass/mud to dig it.........
If you kept weaners and had them in the freezer by 6 months old.............
If you keep them scrupulously clean and have somewhere like an allotment to put the manure..........
If you can get several neighbours in on the idea and do the pigs between you.............
Then in theory yes..............BUT

You will need to check the bylaws
You will need to ask your council
You will need a holding number

And as for breed..........something small............Kune Kune springs to mind
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:03:44 pm »
and also check your covenants... Quite  a few urban houses have a livestock ban
Ian

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:34 am »
Adding to all the other bits - if the pig is to be kept in a very small area consider pigs from an intensive farm.  Your area will be truly paradise to them.  Something like a tamworth will be off on its heels once the ground is dug over. 

s_paradice

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44:54 pm »
Great, this is all good feedback, exactly what I was after.

In short I've decided against it for now, I shall adopt a couple of battery hens for the time being.

We'll be moving to a property with a much larger garden sometime next year though, so I shall not be abandoning the idea completely just yet.

Thanks for the advice.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 06:50:14 am »
Really good luck, and how wonderful for the rescued chickens.  Chicken Paradise.   :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 02:57:52 pm »
I shall adopt a couple of battery hens for the time being.

You should register on the battery hen website http://www.bhwt.org.uk/  as there is a long waiting list - certainly in Scotland anyway.  I had to wait 3 months, and was lucky to get 6.  They are beautifully feathered up now, very affectionate, and starting to lay.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

s_paradice

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:02:55 pm »
Thanks doganjo. I have a little work to do to prepare my garden for chooks anyway (Wall repair and a suitable house for them), so I'm not in any great rush. Though it's only a weekend's work, really.

I'll post my experience in the chicken forum for anyone interested.

Thanks to evenyone who posted.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 11:28:42 pm »
If you register with them now you will get update emails as to when the next batch are due to be rescued.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS