Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: curing salt  (Read 27607 times)

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
Re: curing salt
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:19 am »
Am looking forward to doing a cure, one of the reasons for coming to this site, I miss my bacon,
now then now then, the salt we get over here (Crimea) I think is sea salt, its a mucky white colour damp and not very salty, will that work?

robert waddell

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 10:24:31 am »
I am not sure if that salt would work. Buy a cheap bit of meat and try it, you never know it may just work.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 06:35:43 pm »
Do you mean that the salt tastes less salty than what we'd buy in the shops here? You may just need to use more, in that case.
If you're not sure it's as strong as 'normal' salt, then after a few days, when it seems that the salt has drawn most of the fluids out of the meat (on day 3 or 4, not much liquid comes out compared to day 1), cover the meat in salt again. Don't worry about using too much salt, proper bacon tastes salty anyway, and if it's much too salty for you then that can easily be addressed after curing.

I find that covering the meat with salt again after a few days overall works better at drawing out the liquid anyway, compared to putting much more salt on on day 1 and then leaving it for the same total length of time. The second covering gives it an extra boost, it seems.

Out of a, say 10x10inch slab of belly, you'll get a several tablespoons of liquid, more if it's commercial meat.

Good luck!

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 07:32:52 pm »
Thanks for that, Ill try and see, No the taste seems to be less salty, its damp in the first place so it must contain some water.
 already, Ill be trying it at the week end so Ill try to remember to take some pics and show you.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:49 am »
Can you get it over the internet? 

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »
Sorry to jump in here but I've seen that Morrisons are selling legs of pork 1/2 price this week. I have never cured meat before, would this be a good piece of meat to practice on?

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 08:20:06 pm »
my mother used to get saltpetre from the chemist to make salt beef but they don't sell it now as it's used for bomb-making, I understand!

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 08:23:24 pm »
you can still get it    the chemist will report you   but dazeil food supply co will not :wave:

TheGnomeAtHome

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »
Depends how much your intending to make, but the cheapest place for curing salt (Nitrite salt) or complete cures is Scobie Direct. They supply butchers with all types of things. A 7Kg sack of Nitrite salt is currently £12.50

cheers
Paul

robert waddell

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:16 pm »
paul do you work there  :)    the prices are through the roof the window and the floor :wave:

Kelticfox

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2011, 04:30:10 pm »
I know I might be stating the little obvious here, but have you tried your butchers?
I buy my curing salt from my local butcher at £10 per 4Kgs.

Granted its just sodium chloride and potassium nitrate, I just add sugar and pepper to complete my recipe.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS