Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what price a leg of pork  (Read 22914 times)

princesspiggy

Re: what price a leg of pork
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 09:09:01 pm »
what animal r u wanting 3 watch?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 09:50:47 pm »
@ Princesspiggy: pigs, though it might be just as interesting if it's lamb or cattle - it's just to see the whole process and how people organise it

@ Lillian: all of that covered except someone to do the first cut (the disembowelling). The farm where we keep the pigs is like an agricultural Antiques Roadshow, they have every possible tool and machine ever invented hiding there underneath the cobwebs!

:love: :pig: :love:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 09:46:44 am »
i had a old work colleague that was ex-abattoir man, i casually asked if they really did all the stunning b4 killing etc he said they didint bother half the time, jus killed em. dont know if that was true but u dont know what goes on behind closed doors.

They are stunned automatically.  I can give a graphic description if needed.  For the most part the pigs are respected, as the slaughter man said, if the pigs are stressed the meat is tough.  There are cameras in all our local abattoirs.  Most are brain dead before throat is cut, if not the slaughterer calls for the euthenasia callipers before finishing.

This is my experience of several abattoirs here.  I am sure the UK which has high level of animal welfare rules would be better.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 09:49:51 am »
Home Kill:

A rifle is ok or a gun but its not always as clean and quick as would be expected.  Ideally a humane killer gun would be best. 

I knew of a French person who wanted the pig hung by a back leg before being dispatched.  The leg broke in 3 places.  Would therefore suggest pen pig in small area and dispatch before hanging.

Most difficult part of a home kill is removing the hair.  If not done properly hairy crackling.  Its also a problem disposing of the guts unless you are able to burn them.  Abattoir have several processes in place to keep hygiene at a very high level.  Not available to home kill. 

Have done both (customer wanted home kill) and personally prefer the abattoir for quality finish.  Just my opinion though.  None of my pigs are stressed through the abattoir process. 

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 11:12:05 am »
Thanks, HM!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 12:04:16 pm »
 ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS