Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free to good home - Hebridean ram  (Read 2827 times)

HamishMcMurray

• Joined Nov 2010
Free to good home - Hebridean ram
« on: January 10, 2011, 01:38:49 pm »
Approx 1 year old (last year's lamb), 4 horned Hebridean ram. He's handsome and very healthy.

We don't want him breeding with our flock as we don't want any more sheep (although I suspect it may be too late  ::) ).

We'd rather see him go to a good home then to the abattoir. I can email pictures to any one interested.

He's in the Calderdale area of West Yorkshire and would need to be collected.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Free to good home - Hebridean ram
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 02:17:43 pm »
Hello Hamish.  Is he registered, or eligible for registration?  Are his eyelids unsplit?  Can you post a pic here please?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HamishMcMurray

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 02:48:30 pm »
Hi

He's registered to our flock number with a tag in each ear. Is that what you mean?

Not sure what you mean about his eyelids. They don't look split to me but I can take a closer look.

The pictures below were taken in November/December so fairly recent.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 05:14:23 pm »
He's a stunner  ;D
Have you got a hankering Fleecewife ?  ;) ;D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 07:02:47 pm »
now he is very handsome, i like him  :wave:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 10:40:23 pm »
Unfortunately we can only use registered stock here.  By registered I mean with the Hebridean Sheep Society, so we have each animals full pedigree ie a record of all the registered parents, grandparents and so on back to when Hebs were first registered with the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.
Split eyelids happen occasionally in multi-horned sheep of all breeds - Heb, Manx Loaghtan, Jacob, Navajo Churro etc.  It is clearly associated with multi horns, but the exact genetics of the condition are not yet known.  If it occurs in a female it is not too big a worry unless the eyes are badly affected, but because it appears to be hereditary to some (as yet unknown)  degree, it is not usual to use a tup if he has a split and if you are breeding for breeding stock.  The split is of the upper eyelid, so that there is a break in the smooth line - this can vary from very slight to a fully split eyelid and sometimes even marks on the cornea.   
If all looks well then that is fine - don't worry about it  :)  Hebs, especially the multihorns, are very striking and wonderful sheep so I hope you will breed up some more.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS