Livestock > Sheep

Pregnant ewe found on her back in a ditch -

(1/2) > >>

JFW67:
Hi All,

My ewes are due to lamb in the next week.  They are Welsh Black Mtn sheep and are not house at all.   

This evening doing a check on them I found one on her back in a track rut.  In theory she is due on Tuesday.

I righted her by taking her front legs and pulling her up onto her hind quarters and forward onto all fours.  She staggered for a few steps and then walked a little unsteadily down the hill a hundred yards or so to the rest of the flock.  She has urinated and was grazing when I left them.

I was on the hill near them around mid day and she was then on her feet so at most could have been in trouble for 6 hours but didn't seem weak or stressed enough for it to have been anywhere near that long.

Should I be worried regarding the safety/health of the unborn lambs/s?

Bywaters:
probably, but there is nowt you can do about it as getting to a vet (for what?) would cause more stress

My view is fingers crossed, but keep an eye for abortion / still / premature

Good luck

Fleecewife:
We were advised that on finding a cowped ewe, to stand her but hold onto her until she's passed urine, flatus (wind) and dunged. Then let her go. That's because gases build up when the normal route to the outside is compromised.
We had a pregnant Shetland ewe years ago who had cowped on a molehill on a slope. The temp dropped suddenly to minus 13C overnight and in her exhaustion struggling to stand, her eye was frozen to the snowy ground. By the morning that eye was pecked out (apologies if you're eating your breakfast) by crows. Long story short - she was happily delivered of healthy twins a few weeks later and she reared them with her usual skill.  From that, I would say your ewe will be fine  :hugsheep:

shep53:
Had 2 over this morning , 5 this week as its been a very kind winter and they are in good condition on no extra hard feed  , don't expect any to have a problem . Just push them back onto their sides with a foot most get up and walk away some sit for a while to get rearranged

JFW67:
Thanks all for your help.

She lambed two days ago.  Three healthy lambs.

Now just have to worry about the triplet issues! 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version