Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice on goats  (Read 4516 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Lice on goats
« on: January 07, 2011, 02:31:53 pm »
Just checked my GG nanny - she was nibbling herself between her shoulder blades - guess what.... Not sure where they have sprung from, no new hay/straw/feed/haylage recently...

Looking at some previous threads - what did you end up using? I think recently it was Langdon (btw where has he gone?) and Plumseverywhere that were having asked about them.

Beth - you are using Spot On - what's the dosage for goats? I haven't used it before, is it a line/dribble down the spine? Any problems if they are in kid?

I guess Crovect would be the other option, but I do not have any just now, been using Vetrazin for flystrike this summer, and wasn't going to buy any Crovect if possible.

Thanks, Anke.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Lice on goats
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:48:09 pm »
Hi Anke - when I first got the goats one lady recommended a powder - so I duly went out and got some - much later in the year we had an outbreak so did everyone with powder, cleaned out the shed completely and did them again the following week - only to find one girl still infected and she was looking a bit bad. So vet out for a check it wasn't something else that was making her ill but no just a bad dose, and being dark, difficult to see, he recommented Crovect which cleared it up straight away and I've used ever since now as a routine rather than after the wee bug***s come and so far so good - touch wood - we've been clear so I wouldn't hessitate to get more if you can.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:52:23 pm »
just a thought ... would Diatom work?  If you have it...
Little Blue

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »
Hi ANke,

Yes we use spot on- just the sheep dose times 1.5- 1.7ish. Can't use it on milking goats- but at this time of year most of ours are in kid, so not an issue. Lice do seem spring out at this time of year, even if there has been no contact.....

Langdon moved house on 10th December, not seen him online much since.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:59:57 pm »
Thanks, I'll get some Spot On I think tomorrow, none of them are in milk, so should be fine. As I still have got the Vetrazin for fly strike, I think getting Crovect would be a bit too wasteful just now....

I have got a Red Robin living in the goat shed at the moment - maybe he also squats at another one nearby and brings some lice with him....

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:47:21 pm »
Anke i have some crovect left over from summer and could post it to you if you want as i rather it was used than wasted.

Karen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:01:41 pm »
Thanks Karen, it would probably cost a fortune to post if you told the post office what you were sending... it is crazy, but probably not worth the risk. I get really annoyed that everything is always packed for the farmer with 500 ewes or more...

I also got recommended Eprinex, which seems to come in a small enough bottle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS