Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spring is just around the corner ??  (Read 3809 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Spring is just around the corner ??
« on: December 30, 2010, 11:52:26 pm »
I was looking for a photo - Lamb in the Oven - of a weakly lamb, one of triplets, that I had brought into the house to be warmed up in the Aga one year, and found this one - King of the Castle?

Thought this might cheer us all up a bit after the snowy weather.

I don't have any farm animals at present and I miss having them around.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Spring is just around the corner ??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 11:56:40 pm »
What a great pic - just love black lambs - cheered me up  xx
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 12:13:35 am »
Lovely picture  :) :)
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 12:32:25 am »
Beautiful - just 3 months to go and we should have some similar.  I like the firewood too - could do with some of that  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 10:40:54 am »
Lovely picture  ;D

Once New Year's Day is here, all the Xmas decorations come down and I'm focused on Spring, Spring, Spring.    All the ewes are in Lamb, the nanny goats are in kid, a couple of the sows are in-pig,......the poly tunnel needs a muck out ready for prep'ing as does the big shed ready for lambing......Ohhhhhh its so exciting. I love spring.

Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 05:49:45 pm »
Great picture, are they black welsh mountain sheep?
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:15:09 pm »
Yes I kept a small flock for many years and really enjoyed them, though had to part with them as I was unwell for a while. I do miss having them around, though maybe carrying water for the poultry was enough this year!!! ::)

I nearly bought some more this autumn, but it looked that hay would be much too expensive- and I had a feeling we might have bad weather (though not as bad as it was - I think I only got out for a couple of days during Dec)

I can never get anyone to make small bales for me anymore round here.  Everyone has sold their old balers, and gone to the big ones, which would be difficult for me to manage, but if I get myself organized I shall get some more BWM.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:20:39 pm »
Love the black lambs even if they're not Hebs
These were ours last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z59BNbnLJY
Rose

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2011, 11:02:16 pm »
Oh thank you for that Rose.  One of the main reasons for keeping Hebs is those wonderful bouncing, leaping, racing little silhouettes  ;D  Now I know spring is really not far away

robate55

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2011, 11:04:48 pm »
Only had Hebs for 2 years & I really love them (except when Dougal is in a butting mood). I like your 4 horn ram & am hoping to gradually grade up to registered sheep as the girls get old. I would quite like to get more multi horned

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 01:02:43 am »
The multi horned Hebs are stunning to look at, especially out in the field, but they can be a bit difficult to manage especially when they are young as they tend to catch their baby horns and break them.  However, when you consider there are probably fewer than 200 multihorned Hebs around, and only about 20-30 multihorned tups, they are well worth the effort, just for the conservation alone.  The tup in the picture is Gladstone Laughing Boy who is getting on a bit now.  We give him 2 or 3 ewes each season just to keep him happy - and because he has some interesting genes - but we now have 3 other younger multihorned tups, plus one 2 horned one.  We only keep tups with a nice nature as those big horns could I suppose cause some damage.
I think it's a great idea to change over to registered stock as your older ewes move on.  This is what we did with our Soays so that our breeding flock is now all registered, but we still have 3 older unreg Soay ewes who we no longer breed from, who just hang around to keep us company (along with several old Hebs and a Shetland  ;D ;D).
One advantage of multihorned tups is they don't butt things to the same extent as the 2 horns - but both are amateurs compared to Soay tups - old devils !! They don't butt us more than once but they do love a good go at a post, or a vehicle, or another sheep, or a bucket, or anything handy in fact.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS