Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vitimin drench before lambing?  (Read 3462 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Vitimin drench before lambing?
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:13:22 pm »
Hi

Does everyone routinely give a vitimin drench before lambing? they have had a lick and now have a sheep salt lick too, please let me know what you do?  also when I bring them inside the barn on saturday would you recommend that they are put straight into individual pens to settle down or would you set up one large pen and seperate them once they have lambed?

many thanks

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
Re: Vitimin drench before lambing?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:22:26 pm »
We are giving a drench four weeks before lambing BUT, this is because we have an identified vitimin mineral imbalance problem on our land that needs to be rectified.

I am rather sceptical about the benefits otherwise.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:53:20 pm »
We don't give a drench. They have a high protein lick and we will start feeding 6 weeks or so before lambing. We put ours in a big pen, then move them into individual 'mothering up ' pens once they have lambed.

NLL

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:56:42 pm »
no we give nothing. we have the ewes in a big pen and when they have lambed we put them into the individual pens,this saves infections being put into the pens. cleaned and disinfecty each pen thoroughly after use.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »
We give ours lifeline lick buckets but cant help you with lambing indoors as we have Shetlands and lamb outdoors.

waterhouse

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:39 pm »
We don't have enough indoors and the diligent staff of the planning department aren't going to help so we've moved the girls into a sheltered paddock next to the house and next to a small covered area where we have set up a couple of pens.  Sods law means that theres two or three weeks between each due date (comes from buying-in the ewes).

I think it's inevitable that lambing will be out of doors.  There's heavy rain due in a few days and I have a feeling what's going to happen.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 08:44:26 pm »
Ours have a vitamin / mineral lick and will get a bit of hard feed if they need it. Ours lamb outside but I have small mothering pens that I put them into after lambing for a few days until I'm sure the lambs are suckling properly and that the ewe has recovered.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 08:50:26 pm »
Thanks very much for all your replys, I had to buy a litre of min/vit drench as one ewe was looking miserable, so as I have 100 doses I wanted to ask to see if anyone gave as a routine dose, as I have it I will give it.

and I will make a large pen with the hurdles and as they lamb will make seperate pens.

cheers all
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS