Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First pig encounter  (Read 2980 times)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
First pig encounter
« on: January 08, 2011, 10:38:15 pm »
I've been reading all I can on keeping pigs and have found this forum a great source of information and and inspiration :)

I was up seeing how my wee bit of land was developing today as all this awful weather has delayed our moving into our caravan, and came across my new neighbour to be.  She has some weaners and she invited me up to see them.....but they'd gone  :o  So we had a wee walk around, found where they'd escaped from and did some tracking in the snow, all good fun. (They couldn't get too far, or completely leave the surrounding land).

Eventually we saw the chap who was meant to be working the digger on my patch walking up the road with piggies ahead of him. I helped her put them back into their area and give them a feed and was properly introduced. She has a tamworth and a saddleback. I left her repairing their escape route.

So, it was nice to know there was a helpful lady 'next door' to back me up as a new owner as well as the helpful forum here. I am now feeling a whole lot better about getting my first weaners this year, and she recommended a good place to take them when they reach the right weight (and a recommended butcher) without having to do even more asking around.  :pig: :pig: :pig: :) Looking forward to this weather being above freezing long enough to get the caravan base down, and it sited, then we are good to go!
Lynn :)

robert waddell

Re: First pig encounter
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:54 pm »
is that helpfull person Margaret

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:35 pm »
Yes!!

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:43:57 pm »
Oh dear your hooked now  :D :D  :pig: :pig:

Hope all goes well soon on your caravan and look forward to having and looking after your very own little escape artists  :wave:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 01:16:36 am »
Oh didn't realise you lived in this area as well scotelf. Whereabouts is your bit of land? My sister lives in Linlithgow, and we are down within a couple of miles of Lillian.

Beth

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:58:30 am »
fauldhouse

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:55:07 am »
Ah one of my bosses lives there.

So scotelf, ever considered goats?    ;D

Beth

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 03:48:21 pm »
nice story scotelf... and at least your neighbour can't complain if your pigs ever escape!
:D
Little Blue

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 12:40:17 am »
The piece of land is in the Fauldhouse area, we lived in Linlithgow until November when we sold our house in order to buy the land, and are currently staying with my father until we can get the caravan sited.

I've seen your sign Beth, so I must have passed it somewhere close to Central Saddlery I'm guessing? I have thought of goats, and will likely have some, but I want to start a bit at a time to make sure I don't take on too much at once, and I manage to look after everything properly. And that's a lot coming from me as I'm the most impatient person! So it is chickens and pigs first (and 4 horses/ponies, 3 dogs already) and see how that goes - see how my fencing manages with my own escape artists, :)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 09:38:07 pm »
Hi Lynn,

Yes we aren't far away from Central Saddlery- handily! We're between Avonbridge and Slamannan. You are right to just start with a few things at once, and having a new place to live would be enough for some people- never mind pigs and chickens as well! I was really joking- but if you do ever want to visit some goats, just stop in.

Isn't Linlithgow impossible to buy land in? My sister wants some, but doesn't want to move her kids out of the academy catchment area so she might not manage it- and she can't afford to pay some of the prices in that area.

Have you decided where to get your piggies from? We had 2 Tamworths we got from Lillian put in the freezer just before Christmas- yummy!

Beth

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:21 pm »
Hi Beth,

Yes, Linlithgow was not a possibility, so we accepted staying within West Lothian, which is still within travelling distance for family and my husband's work.

I have friends who stay in Wattston, next to Greengairs, and I travel via Avonbridge and Slamannan to visit them, so that's where I've remembered your sign from (it made me laugh). Maybe I'll stop by bext time?

no decisions on where to get the pigs yet, but close by would make most sense.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS