Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep shearing stool  (Read 5055 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Sheep shearing stool
« on: January 08, 2011, 11:27:39 pm »
Has anyone used or seen used a sheep shearing stool saw a picture of one in Katy Croppers book and thought it might be a usefull piece of equipment.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:36:06 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Sheep shearing stool
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:10:21 am »
You move around so much when shearing that I would think you wouldn't have time to sit on a stool  ;D  The Aussies use a suspended belt which helps to take the weight but allows you to move around. The only time I do use a stool is if I'm roo'ing using the 'small clump at a time' method, which takes ages, so sitting is essential then.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 07:34:20 am »
I shear all my sheep sitting on a stool but they are small sheep I actually find it very helful and I move the sheep but I guess it would depend on what size sheep you were shearing.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »
The stool I am talking about is for the sheep as well as the person and was a well used method in many parts of the country when hand shearing was all the go. I have seen pictures some are slatted and some are sollid and  are more pointed at one end than the other in the shape of a v. some are just table shaped and a little concave.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 04:03:29 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:49:35 pm »
I found a link to a picture of one http://valcorbettphotography.com/gallery/list/category/farming-and-environment/ scroll down until you get to handshearing a herdwick
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 04:05:50 pm »
Thats it well done. now has any one ever used one or know any old shepherds that used one.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 01:37:12 pm »
Most of the old welsh shepherds used to use a stool before machine clipping took off.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 10:32:37 pm »
Thats right they were used thoughout the country all be it in slightly differing forms. I have seen documents that tell of shearing stools being used in Cumbria, Highlands and Islands of Scotland. Now Wales, Must have been lots of them about at one time. I am going to make a shearing stool and try it out.  I hand sheer my sheep and really enjoy hand shearing much better that the modern method in my oppinion. I feel much more of a connection to the sheep. It would be good to have seen one in action so I could learn the technique.   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS