Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: another celeriac question  (Read 1924 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
another celeriac question
« on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:50 am »
to the expeienced celeriac growers ;D
does it keep growing over the winter? mine are only tennis ball sized and I wondered if they are ready or not... :&>

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: another celeriac question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:03:07 am »
I will be interested in replies to this.  I have only ever managed to grow disappointingly small celariac, so much so, that now I never bother to grow it at all.

all the best
Sue
Dark Brown Eggs
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Carol Knights

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 08:14:40 am »
Hello,
We grow them every year and they are ready about now. We leave them in the ground and dig them up as want them. They don't seem to grow much ( or even at all) over the winter but they need a lot of  water in the growing season to get them to a decent size. We have some beds ( not raised) that are always wetter and we grow them there.
Carol Knights
alsafarm.com

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 10:06:03 am »
Thats interesting  i have a wet bed, but I think it is also prone to slugs, and it is somewhat in the shoadow of the polytunnel.  Does that sound as though it might work.  I am on very heavy clay/marl, but have improved the soil structure quite a bit.

Also what size do yours achieve

Many thanks
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS