Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: White on chicken crest?  (Read 2082 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
White on chicken crest?
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »
I posted a few weeks ago about one of my chooks having white 'stuff' on its wattle (is this the wattle or does it have another name?) - I have some pics here. I just wondered if you had any ideas as I think one of the others is now going white too. They all seem happy in themselves, eating well and laying eggs as normal. When we were picking them up to vaseline their combs at the weekend I did wonder if she was lighter than the other, but then she could just be smaller as she was not scrawny at all.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: White on chicken crest?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:39:53 pm »
Photos too small to see properly - not frostbite is it?  If you re putting on Vaseline I don't suppose it is.  If they are fit and well I shouldn't worry unless it covers the whole comb
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Re: White on chicken crest?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:56:26 pm »
The wattles and combs, do shrink, and loose colour in the colder weather, when they are trying to preserve heat, and reduce the about on unprotected flesh open to the elements, human skin dries out in the cold, hens are the same.

Like Annie says don't worry, most of mine have tiny, grey wattles and virtually no combs and are in no form of ill health. Hens again are like humans, vary in size and shape. if she is not extremely underweight or out of condition then there is no problem, she is most likely bottom of the pecking order, just make sure there is plenty of food available so that when the others finish there is enough left for her.

I'm sure she will be fine  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS