Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: getting ready for some pigs.  (Read 3625 times)

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
getting ready for some pigs.
« on: December 12, 2010, 08:57:14 pm »
hello all.am new to forum and was fishing for some advice.i going to get some weaners.can i put different litters together or will they fight.havent had pigs since i was about 12 and im not tellin how many years ago that was!!!.

HappyHippy

Re: getting ready for some pigs.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 10:06:22 pm »
As long as your boars are all brothers they'll be fine. Unrelated boars WILL fight :( but gilts should all be fine once the pecking order is sorted out.
HTH
Karen x

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 10:07:14 am »
i love your name, hoggsbreath, lol  :pig:

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 08:15:24 pm »
thanks.got the idea from an aussie steakhouse called the hoggsbreath cafe.great steaks if your ever overthere. :)

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:27 pm »
do u live there?

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 05:44:35 pm »
not any more.tried it for a couple of years but it wasnt for us.i do miss the ocean sometimes but our countryside certainly takes some beating.

princesspiggy

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:26:33 pm »
same here, live by coast now so good, plus love the feel of really cold air, taken for granted in uk. where r u now?

hoggsbreath

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 09:56:36 pm »
unfortunately i live about as far as you can get away from the coast.im just outside milton keynes.keep meaning to blow the dust off me beachcasters but never seem to get the time.where in oz were you?.i started in boring perth and then went to the beautiful sunshine coast in queensland.a place near noosa called coolum beach.got to admit it was a pretty outstanding place.but now i am chompin at the bit to get a couple of weaners.also going to get an in calf cow with calf at foot.although cant make my mind up...aberdeen angus or english longhorn...what you think?.atb hoggsbreath!.

princesspiggy

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:59 pm »
gold coast, lovely but im a countryside girl and was bit scared of snakes and spiders to go walking off in countryside. was there good 2 yrs but had major cravings for the cold, marmite and eastenders.
theres alot of aberdeen angus up here (aberdeenshire) supposed to be easy to care for but good ones are really expensive. they seem to be on rare breed list but these must be unregistered cos loads of them.
longhorns are beautiful. iv just got my 1st cows - ummed and ahhed about jerseys but worried bout poor beef then our cold weather, didnt like the dexters cos our local breeder had some really poor stock ( things prolapsing outa backend) plus wanted cows with nice eyes (sorry, but these particular dexters eyes reminded me of jaws.
finally decided on shetland cows and sooo glad. i like animals with bit of character and fun to have and these fit into our farm perfectly.
everyone wants in-calf heifer with calf at foot - waiting list for shetlands heifers was bout 2 years. i jumped queue and took 2 calves instead.mite have to wait a bit for milk (main aim) but at least theyre growing in value while im waiting.
depends what u want them for and which fits into ur farm best. (plus which makes ur heart flutter wen u see them, cos that keeps u keen when its pouring wi rain!!)   ;D ;D :cow: :pig: tamworths are great, im biased tho x

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:13 pm »
:pig: tamworths are great, im biased tho x

If you are very fit tamworths ARE great pigs, if you are a bit vertically challenged and unfit like me, go for a lop eared pig i.e. GOS.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »
brittish lop until the ears go back then they are off

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS