Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Crafty for crimbo?!  (Read 5307 times)

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Crafty for crimbo?!
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:29:13 pm »
I was watching the repeats of 'Kisty's homemade christmas' over the weekend... made me feel very festive and crafty... really like the programme but its all a bit expensive!

Ive decided to have a go at making some bead decorations for presents instead of the traditional bow... spent a fortune on bits and bobs today... although providing they turn out ok they can be used as tree decorations next year!

anyone else doing anything crafty for christmas?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Crafty for crimbo?!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 05:04:50 pm »
They sound really nice! will have to have a look at iplayer or something to try and catch that episode  :)
I made up a door wreath but then saw some really gorgeous ones made by a local gypsy family and really want one of them too ( I like the tradition attached to them making them every year)

Because I make my own goats milk soap/bathbombs etc all of my children's teachers and nursery will be receiving handmade presents this year. hubby makes plum wine too.  The children are making cards as I type! I love all things arty and crafty but wish I was better at it, would love to be able to make some tree decs etc  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 09:19:14 pm »
I made all my families card in cross stitch, a lot more personal than peel and stick homemade cards which are still nice but prefer to make my own. I like doing fine crafts such as crochet flowers and bookmarks etc. Large things dont inspire me .Lacemaking is my next craft to conquer.

Sandy

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:23:43 pm »
I love Kirsty and Phil but I think home made stuff can look  rough, especialy when I make things, OK for a small cottage farm but not for designer new homes!!!! I like the idea but what I get is not what I want so I am having to buy!!

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 11:25:35 pm »
plums... it was on channel 4 originally last year... http://www.channel4.com/programmes/kirsties-homemade-christmas/4od i helped a friend make a wreath for her door... well i made it she just watched lol your soaps look lovley btw... almost good enough to eat!

hermit i would love to have a go at cross stitch, ive seen some 'kits' but to be honest they all look a bit naff and the nice ones i can find are far too expensive for me to make a mistake with!! think i may have to bite the bullet and just go for it!

sandy... i suppose it depends on personal preference, i agree tho about the new homes and hand made stuff... although a mix of both could work!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:39:14 am »
Stephen , I dont do kits, they do look naff and even the expensive ones are a bit cartoony looking. I buy my things seperately and work from books. I got loads of books from charity shops and counted cross stitch you can just make part of a picture or the whole thing or alter it and add holly or whatever. Easy to do and put downable and pick up later when I have time. Crochet I have to sit and do, but love it.

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:57 am »
think ill pick up a couple of the kits first to practise / learn on before i get too adventurous!  ;D

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:45:23 am »
I am one of those folk whose home-made stuff comes out like primary school playtime  :'( and would certainly never sell :o but I am thinking about making some jewellery at some point - not for Christmas tho cos I don't really "do" Christmas ;)

I'll be opening the damson gin I made tho ;D
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:28:36 am »
The bead shop i went into yesterday does packs for jewellery...

http://www.beadpot.co.uk/Products.aspx?cat=10

i experimented with lemon and lime vodka...  i wont be doing it again!  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
Not sure if it is counted as a "craft" but my mum was reminising about candied peel dipped in chocolate a couple of weeks ago, so I have made some - it is awesome!  (even if at the moment it is onlyme that can say it as it will be a Christmas pressie! :-[. )

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »
I started in the summer with jams, chutneys, and jellies. they go into a christmas box for various people allong with the ever favourite fruity vodkas and gins. i get ordinary cardboard boxes make them up with tissue, brown paper and raffia ribbon. This year each person will also get some sauages or bacon from our piggies.

I enjoy doing this and it is hugely popular. My jams, boozes etc are all labelled with my 'furryboots kirkinch' witch label.

i had meant to do some weaving and to finish off some tapestries but time has flown!!
#
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »
have you seen the cross stitch sets you can buy based on your own photo's? I've always wanted to get a photo of my 4 girls made into a cross stitch (but then its finding the time to sit and do it, I'm struggling to fit eating and breathing into my life these days  ;D  )

Emma your boxes sound fab!! I'd love to receive home grown sausages or bacon (not to mention the voddy and gin lol!) from family members.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS