Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what is a ' sheeps dose ' ?  (Read 3088 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
what is a ' sheeps dose ' ?
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:11 pm »
i have read that you should ask the vet for a dose that is higher than a sheeps dose,
my question ere is, how much is a sheeps dose since we dont keep sheep therefore not knowing?
hope this makes sense!
thanks langdon ;) :goat:
Langdon ;)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: what is a ' sheeps dose ' ?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 10:19:36 pm »
I think I'm correct in saying the sheep dose is indicated on the wormer bottle as it's licenced for sheep and not goats but my vet told me the goat dose was 1.5 x that dose - but don't quote me on that just use as a guideline - your goat vet should clarify
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 10:38:38 pm »
cheers brucklay  ;)
Langdon ;)

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 07:03:59 am »
1.5 to rwice  is safe for goats.   Be sure to assess the dose on the weight of the goat.   For an adult female,  50kgs is the usual.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 08:20:45 pm »
I think I'm correct in saying the sheep dose is indicated on the wormer bottle as it's licenced for sheep and not goats but my vet told me the goat dose was 1.5 x that dose - but don't quote me on that just use as a guideline - your goat vet should clarify

You have a Goat vet!!!!!!!!!!!!? ::)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 08:26:27 pm »
Yes, believe it or not 5 miles away there is a vet practice in Srichen that has a German Lady vets and her speciality is goats!! Perfect and they are really helpful - really lucky
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:25:56 am »
1.5 to rwice  is safe for goats.   Be sure to assess the dose on the weight of the goat.   For an adult female,  50kgs is the usual.

We always used to assume that 60kgs was normal for an adult female. Having weighed some of ours we were a bit horrified to discover we underestimated. However, Langdon, yours will probably not weigh more than 60kgs at the most- after they have kidded. Ours are only heavier because they are throughly spolit and fed and reared for showing, so they are larger and heavier.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »
Here is an excel file - goat weight vs girth measurement: (girth - measure round her body just behind her front legs)

I have used 1.7 x sheep dose with drench (pancur), for injection 1.5 is probably enough.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS