Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what do i need to make my own goat feed mix  (Read 10748 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
Re: what do i need to make my own goat feed mix
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:15 pm »
not quite going ahead with the idea, when i was with the owners of the billy they were just showing me their system and general
day to day of how they do things e.g. feeding.
they were just showing me the different foods that make up a feed, and i was thinking does the shop bought stuff have all the important
ingredients and right amount of each.
been a while since i bought a bag so i cant go into shed to look at label contents!
was saying to beth as you just said to me with only two goats at the mo i think i will carry on with the bags of feed.
but moving house in a week from now and more land and with breeding now in the pipeline i might in the future.
thanks for reply ;)
langdon :goat:
Langdon ;)

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »
If you look at the ingredients on a purchased sack of ready mixed feed it will have a break down of contents and nutrients and a sell by/use by date. Not very long shelf life before you loose essential vitamins and minerals etc. do you have a few nearby goat keepers that would join in your venture?
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

buddy

• Joined Feb 2009
  • I really love my life, especially when its sunny
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 09:53:37 pm »
Posts crossed, sorry. A premixed feed has all the correct ingredients especially for the breed, so its down to your preference really. If you make your own feed it is very expensive to match the ready made type in respect of essential contents. It is manageable if you make it in bulk though. I know a sheep farmer that mills feed and it is very nice stuff. Getting in good quality hay/straw is a must.
Enjoying life making the most of whats available. My kids were little yesterday, today they are almost adults, where on earth did that change happen?

hairyhetty

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 06:13:55 pm »
its true about needing license to mix your own feeds, seems ridiculous, loads of people would rather feed straights and know what they are feeding rather than the variable mix on complete feeds. cant hurt to give it a stir can it?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »
I had a look at the feed mixing regs and I have a feeling it does not include people who buy bags of feed and mix them in a bucket just before giving it to the animal....eg a scoop of pony nuts and a scoop of oats to a pony.
I think it applies more to those who mix lorry loads in hoppers on farm....so consumers and the fsa know what was fed in the mix and in what quantity.

Now as for feeding goats a home mix it really depens if for meat or milk and remembering high yeilders need high protein.

I used to have goats producing over 1500kgs milk per lactation and some over 2000kgs and were winning at shows and milking competitions so had to feed accordingly. Others I raised for meat.

A good mix is alfalfa nuts, sugar beet nuts, flaked maize, flaked peas, rolled oats, rolled barley, linseed cake and a good goat mineral

Then I used to do a pick a mix application...more alfalfa and peas for the high yeilders, more maize and barley for the thin less for the fat, no beet for males as causes  urinary tract stones, and linseed for all!

Good hay to complement, pref Alfalfa hay (Lucerne) fed ad lib.

I always aimed for a 20% protein mix for milkers and a 16% for the rest....hope that helps!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 06:23:24 pm »
No, honestly, I was told it does apply to anyone who mixes straights. This was at an inspection by Trading Standards and I only had 2 goats and 3 sheep at the time so the Inspector knew I would not be mixing lorryloads at a time. Stupid, I know but that's what I was told.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 06:43:33 pm »
Well I reckon that if you always keep the feeds seperate, as I always did and still do, then any inspector can see all the feeds are indeed not mixed. I know ours is paranoid re the layers pellets being kept 3 feet away and in a seperate bin from the sheep nuts etc. I would only mix immediately before feeding in the individual animals bucket...... :-\
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS